I told you I was going to go on a Seasonal Potluck rampage! For my 4 year work anniversary, my boss sent me a ‘foodie’ gift basket, which is great, but definitely added to my already over flowing pantry. Luckily for The Hubs, this means more pasta dinners in his future. Pasta is one of his favorite meals, and I rarely make it. (C’mon, we live in SoCal, the land devoid of carbs) I saw this recipe in Cooking Light, and figured it was a nice compromise between hearty and healthy. Plus, I love seafood.
The sauce was light, garlicky, and super easy to make. There wasn’t even anything left over!
Pasta with Fresh Tomato Sauce and Clams recipe from Cooking Light
- 5 cups chopped tomato (about 4 large)
- 6 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, divided
- 2 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic, divided
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 8 ounces uncooked whole-wheat spaghetti or linguine
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 16 littleneck clams
- 1. Combine tomatoes, 1/3 cup chives, 1 tablespoon garlic, vinegar, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper in a large bowl; let stand 15 minutes. Drain mixture in a colander over a bowl, reserving liquid.
- 2. While the tomatoes stand, bring 2 quarts water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add 1 tablespoon salt and pasta. Cook the pasta for 10 minutes or until al dente, and drain.
- 3. Heat butter, olive oil, and remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic in a large skillet over low heat; cook 4 minutes or until fragrant. Increase the heat to medium-high. Add reserved tomato liquid, and bring to a boil; cook until reduced to 1/2 cup (about 6 minutes). Add clams; cover and cook 4 minutes or until shells open. Remove clams from pan, and discard any unopened shells. Add reserved tomato mixture and pasta to pan; cook for 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Top with the remaining chives.
I had an awesome day styling food yesterday. After a day of styling, my regular work always seems so much more boring than before. Its really a wonderful thing to get paid to do something you love. I’m hoping that this business will become more regular so I can finally get off the boring work roller coaster I’m on. Until then, only one more day to power through and then the weekend! I can’t wait for Leila’s party on Saturday. Pics for you all on Monday!