I kind of hate writing Monday posts. No matter what I’ve made or done, I’m always still in that half space between longing for the past weekend, focusing on the tasks scheduled for completion in the upcoming work week. I find myself here too frequently. It seems as though each week flies by faster than the one before, and I can never seem to actually catch up.
I guess my only option is to continue putting one foot in front of the other, and move forward. With that being said, I’ll accept that the weekend is officially over. What a doozy it was too. We had a lot of fun with our friends : pool time, BBQ, Champagne. Its was heavenly. Now I’m facing another packed-schedule work week, and I think I’m going to need some healthy food to keep me feeling focused and alert. This salad was on the cover of Sunset magazine this month, and it was love at first sight. I’ve seen lots of rainbow carrots at the markets lately (way to be perfectly seasonal Sunset!) so I knew it was meant to be. Plus, it fits with our own Seasonal Potluck ingredient this month too. Peas!
Spring Rainbow Salad recipe from Sunset Magazine
- 1 1/2 pounds rainbow carrots (preferably a mix of long and short ones)
- 4 ounces pea shoots*
- 2 cups sugar snap peas
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup Meyer lemon juice
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- About 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup crumbled sheep’s- or goat’s-milk feta cheese
- 3/4 cup mint leaves, cut into slivers
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- Scrub carrots gently (so you don’t lose the bright outer color), using a brush under running water. With a mandoline or vegetable peeler, cut thin lengthwise ribbons to make 1 qt.; discard ends and tough cores.
- Put dark and light carrot ribbons in separate bowls of ice water and soak about 15 minutes to crisp. Drain, roll in kitchen towels, and pat dry.
- Discard tough or thick stems from pea shoots and tear sprigs into 4- to 5-in. pieces. Pull strings from straight sides of snap peas, then thinly slice peas lengthwise. In a large bowl, whisk oil, lemon juice, garlic, 1/2 tsp. salt, and the pepper.
- Add carrots, pea shoots, snap peas, feta, mint, and chicken to bowl and toss gently. Season with more salt if you like.