Pizza and Beer and Bundt Cakes, Oh my! Another holiday weekend has come and gone along with another overindulging binge on my part. Today is a new day to choose healthier options and I’m starting off with these white bean and spinach tacos. Sure it’s Tuesday, but since it’s the first day of the workweek we’ll just pretend that the Meatless Monday rules still apply.
The heat broke a bit yesterday, and I’m hoping we’ll continue to get some relief this week so I can get in some good runs without feeling like I’m going to die. Back on the fitness wagon too!
I’m pleased to present one of the only things that grew in my garden this year, a jalapeño! Paired with a couple of beautiful heirloom tomatoes from the farmers market, this little baby made an awesome topping for these white bean and spinach tacos.
I hope you all enjoyed the long weekend and ate till your hearts content. If you didn’t well then you’re a better person than I am. I applaud your willpower. Stay tuned for more healthy, detox friendly recipes from me in the coming weeks. The Hubs will be traveling a lot which means saladpalooza over here! Yay leafy greens!
White Bean and Spinach Tacos
Healthy Taco recipe. Vegetarian tacos made with white beans and spinach.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups vertically sliced onion
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/8 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 8 cups bagged prewashed spinach about 5 1/2 ounces
- 1 1/2 cups chopped tomato
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 sliced jalapeño pepper
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 ounces queso fresco crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add sliced onion, and sauté 5 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Add garlic to pan; sauté 30 seconds. Stir in beans and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook 1 minute. Add spinach to pan; cook 1 minute or until spinach wilts and beans are thoroughly heated.
- Combine tomato, chopped onion, cilantro, lime juice, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and jalapeño in a small bowl. Warm tortillas according to package directions. Arrange 1/3 cup bean mixture in center of each tortilla. Top each taco with 3 tablespoons tomato mixture and about 1 tablespoon cheese.