Have you ever grilled a pizza before? It’s pretty awesome. I know summer is winding down for many, but if a hot Indian Summer night rolls around, and you don’t want to turn on the oven, you should definitely fire up the grill and try making pizza.
Pizza grilling could not be easier. Get a can of pizza dough, unroll it, throw it on the grill, add some toppings and you’re done! Seriously, its that simple. Here’s a quick photo tour:
For this particular pizza, I took advantage of all the awesome summer veggies that are everywhere right now, but you can just as easily grill up some sausage or other meats to add to your pizza. I don’t have a grill basket, so I just grill my veggies on a sheet of heavy duty foil coated in cooking spray
Okay, so it was REALLY hot when I was making this, and my dough didn’t unroll into its usual perfect rectangle. Its was VERY sticky, but I made it work.
I used fontina cheese which has an awesome smoky flavor that went perfectly with the char on the veggies. What are your favorite pizza toppings?
See? I told you it was easy! I think a great idea would be to grill a bunch of different varieties and serve them as appetizers for a party. I’ll file that little stroke of genius away to use during football season.
Grilled Vegetable and Fontina Pizza recipe from Cooking Light
- 2 portobello mushroom caps** I used eggplant instead
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 medium zucchini, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices**I did 1/2 zucchini and 1/2 yellow squash
- 1 red onion, cut into 1/2-inch wedges (root end intact)
- 5 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 8 ounces refrigerated fresh pizza dough
- 4 ounces shredded fontina cheese (1 cup)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Preheat grill to high heat.
- Remove brown gills from undersides of mushrooms with a spoon; discard. Combine mushrooms, garlic, bell pepper, zucchini, onion, and oil in a bowl; toss to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Arrange vegetables on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 8 minutes or just until tender. Slice mushrooms.
- Roll dough into a 12-inch oval on a lightly floured surface. Place dough on grill rack; grill 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- Sprinkle cheese over dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border around edges. Arrange vegetable mixture over cheese. Grill pizza 3 minutes or until cheese melts. Sprinkle pizza with basil leaves and red pepper; cut into 8 slices.