There’s just something about it getting dark early that makes me want to curl up on the couch and drown my sorrows in snack mix. Everyone tries to justify the end of daylight savings time by saying “well, at least its not dark when I wake up.” I’m curious as to when people wake up because it is most certainly dark when I wake up……..and when I’m walking Olive in the evening, and when The Hubs comes home from work……grrrrr! This perpetual darkness makes me hungry. For junk food. Hey, at least if I put on a few pounds maybe no one will notice since its always dark out.
So maybe I’m a little crabby. Lack of sunlight will do that to this gal. I know eating junk food when you’re feeling down is NOT generally a good idea, but once I got this idea for a goldfish snack mix in my head, I couldn’t let it go. Even though this mix was a hit (The Hubs asked me if I put crack in it) I don’t think it will be making a regular appearance in our house. The key to my self control snack-wise is just to not buy/make things that tempt me. This includes all things goldfish cracker. Those little buggers are seriously addicting.
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1-16oz bag goldfish crackers
- 1-16oz bag pretzel goldfish crackers
- 1½ c. dry roasted peanuts
- 1½ c. pepitas
- 2 c. rice chex cereal
- 6 T butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- In a small bowl mix sugar, salt, chipotle chili powder, cumin, oregano, and chili powder.
- In a large bowl combine goldfish crackers, peanuts, pepitas, and chex cereal.
- Whisk the melted butter into the spice mixture. Pour butter mixture over the goldfish mixture and stir until evenly coated.
- Spread mixture on baking sheets covered with parchment paper. Bake for one hour, stirring every 15 minutes.