I promised you another pie this week, and here it is! Another fabulous find from Pinterest! That site is just chock full of so-bad-for-you yummy deliciousness. This pie was described as “containing frosting crack”, “off the hizzy”, and “quite possibly the best pie I have ever had”. People went absolutely crazy over it. I personally really preferred the limoncello pie, but I’m not a super sweet tooth, and not so much into cheesecake, which this pie has an element of.
Caramel Apple Crunch Pie recipe from Doughmesstic.net
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs **Bonus! Got to use some of my graham crackers in the pantry!
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
1 cup chopped pecans
5 Granny Smith apples (peeled, cored, sliced very thin)
5 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Cream Cheese Topping:
8 oz. cream cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup heavy cream, whipped
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup caramel ice cream topping
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the crumbs, sugar, cinnamon and melted butter. Mix well and press into a 10-inch pie plate and up the sides. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes until golden in color. Remove pie shell from oven and cool completely. Pour caramel into pie shell and sprinkle with 1 cup of chopped pecans. Refrigerate pie shell while making apple filling.
3. In a large (12-inch) skilet over medium heat, melt butter and add brown sugar, salt and cinnamon. Stir with a wooden spoon. Add apples and stir. Cook over medium to medium-high heat for 15 to 20 minutes until apples are softened and tender. Let cool for 10 minutes and pour into pie shell. Reduce oven to 350 degrees F.
4. In a medium bowl, using a hand-held mixer on low speed, combine cream cheese and sugar for about 1 minute until smooth. Add egg, lemon juice and vanilla and beat for 1 minute or until fully blended. Pour over apple filling in pie shell. Bake for 30 minutes until an inserted knife comes out clean. Remove pie from oven and let cool. Refrigerate for 4 hours. Let stand outside the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
5. Top with whipped cream, caramel and pecans, and swirl with a knife. Slice and serve.
People often ask me how I can eat all these desserts and still be so skinny. Here’s the story. A. one small slice of pie per day does not a fatty make. Everything in moderation. 2. I work out. A lot. Plus, I’m just active in general. Living in SoCal allows for a lot of outdoor time. C. Besides the baked goods, and an occasional man-approved football snack, most of the stuff I make and eat on this blog is pretty darn healthy. I really try to avoid fast food and junk food (most of the time. Hey, I love me a cheeto)
And there you have it! Don’t eat crap all the time and move around a bit! You too can have a your caramel apple crunch pie and eat it too.