Is anyone else feeling the need to cleanse after that long weekend? These nutrient packed, detoxifying vegetable spring rolls are definitely on my menu for the week. Sun+alcohol+BBQ+not enough sleep leaves me feeling sluggish and brain dead, which is not a good way to start a busy Monday. My plan for bouncing back includes tons of water, exercise, and clean eating.
I would like to take a second to say this weekend was a blast. I had a great time with my friends both at our house on the 4th, and all weekend long with Jenny and Frank visiting. Sometimes I can’t even believe this is my life. Summer is my favorite time of year, and this weekend was pretty darn idyllic.
Ok, we’ve established that “it was worth it”, but now how to get back to feeling normal? These spring rolls are packed with good stuff that should help rejuvenate your body. Cilantro and Rainbow Chard are considered two of the 50 Best Plants on the Planet and are chock full of antioxidants that will help replace those old, hungover cells with fresh new ones. Thai basil and carrots work as liver detoxifiers, while mint promotes digestion and acts as a natural stimulant in case you’re brain is set to “slow” today. The cucumbers will help to rehydrate you while the sprouts are high in protein to help keep you feeling full. All and all, this vegetable spring rolls are the perfect food to help jump start you back into the work week.
- 1 package spring roll wrappers
- 2-3 cups sprouts
- 1-2 cups rainbow chard, torn
- 1 cup carrots, peeled into ribbons or shredded
- 1 cup English cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- ½ bunch mint, stems removed
- 1 bunch cilantro, stems removed
- ½ bunch thai basil
- Soak each spring roll wrapper in warm water for 45 seconds until it becomes pliable. Lay the damp wrapper on a plate, then begin to build your spring roll.
- Create a base layer of chard topped with sprouts, then a few carrots, and cucumber staying about a ⅓ of the way from the edge of the wrapper closest to you leaving an inch on both sides. Don't over-stuff your spring roll.
- Tear a few leaves of mint, cilantro and basil and sprinkle them over the vegetables.
- Fold over the sides and the bottom of the wrapper then roll up creating a nice looking roll.