You know I love any excuse to make some soup! The rain is back here in San Diego (not to mention the wind!) and I’m craving something warm and cozy to eat. Since I’m finally off my holiday food and alcohol binge, I was looking for a healthy yet hearty recipe. Guess what? I found one!
A lot of people make new years resolutions to lose weight or go on a diet. I don’t really believe in this. I just figure that today is as good of a day as January 1st. If you’re planning to do it then, why not start now? Not that I ever consider the way I eat a “diet” anyway. I always eat pretty healthfully. Of course I love cheeseburgers and ice cream and cookies but, if I overindulge one day, I just eat something better the next day. Healthy food just makes me feel better in general.
This soup is not only low calorie but its packed with super healthy ingredients! A great winter dish to get your “diet” started off on the right foot. Bonus: It takes less than 20 minutes to make!
White bean soup with Kale and Chorizo recipe from Cooking Light
Be sure to use smoked Spanish chorizo, not raw Mexican chorizo. (I used Lingucia since my grocery store didn’t have Spanish Chorizo)
- 2 ounces Spanish chorizo sausage, finely chopped
- 1 cup prechopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (15-ounce) cans organic cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups prechopped kale (I used rainbow chard. It was the best looking at the store)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cracked black pepper (optional)
1. Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chorizo to pan; sauté 1 minute. Add onion and garlic to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until tender.
2. While onions cook, pour broth into a microwave-safe bowl; microwave at HIGH for 3 minutes. Add hot broth and beans to pan; bring to a boil. Partially mash beans with potato masher. Stir in kale and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; cook over medium heat 6 minutes. Sprinkle with cracked pepper, if desired.
Only 235 calories in 1 1/4 cups!!!!