Healthy taco salad is great for meatless Monday or taco Tuesday! Vegetarian and packed with all the classic taco flavors you love.
It’s almost May and I’m already sweating while sitting on my couch writing this at 9pm. It seems like perhaps we may be in for another hot summer. It’s not a terrible thing because we have a pool in our backyard, but it’s not great either since we don’t have air conditioning.
I have a feeling that I won’t be using the oven for much longer, so it’s time to get creative with no-cook or minimal cooking meals.
I’m actually kind of stoked because I loooooove salad. The Hubs isn’t the biggest fan, but he gets really grumpy when it’s super hot, so I think he’d rather have a salad for dinner than have me turning on the oven. It’s either that or he takes on the responsibility of having to cook dinner every night himself by firing up the grill.
Actually, I’d better be careful what I wish for or I may soon be facing several months of grilled-meat only dinners.
I do my best to make salads as appealing to The Hubs as possible. This healthy taco salad with kale is so hearty and flavorful, he didn’t even realize the meat was missing. It’s not only super spicy and satisfying, but it’s crazy good for you too.
Cheers to hopefully normal summer time temperatures, a nice balance of cooked and non cooked foods, and minimal sweaty nights!
If you give this recipe a try, I’d love to see it! Tag me @betsylife on Facebook or Instagram and I’ll share your creations!
Vegetarian Kale Taco Salad
Vegetarian Kale Taco Salad is the ultimate Meatless Monday recipe, but is great for Taco Tuesday as well!
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 medium sweet potato peeled and diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1/2 of a 14oz can of black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 head of kale stems removed and torn into small pieces
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 tablespoons green onions finely chopped
- 1/2 avocado diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup crumbled queso fresco
- 1/4 cup crushed tortilla chips
- fresh salsa *optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Toss sweet potato with 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Spread on a baking sheet in an even layer and bake for 25-35 minutes, stirring occasionally until softened.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss kale with remaining olive oil and taco seasoning. Massage for 3-5 minutes until kale begins to soften.
- Toss black beans, tomatoes, onions, avocado and cilantro with seasoned massaged kale. Top with warm sweet potato, crumbled queso fresco and crushed tortilla chips.
- Serve with fresh salsa *optional
More of the best vegetarian recipes around
- Marinated Feta and Chickpea Sandwich
- One Pot Vegetable Pasta Primavera
- Spring Pea and Asparagus Pasta Salad