Easy Cucumber Salad. Vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper, herbs and vegetables. There’s nothing fresher than that.
Cucumbers are one of the top 5 quintessential summer vegetables am I right? They’re right up there with tomatoes, beans, corn, and squash. They are easy to grow, and are a garden staple from coast to coast.
I personally have several cucumber plants growing this year, but no actual cucumbers….yet. I’m pretty sure in about a month I’m going to have more cucumbers than I know what to do with. (Pickles anyone?) It’s a good thing I’m now a cucumber fan for the first time in my life. It took me well into my 30’s to finally learn to love this mild veggie staple.
It’s salads like this one that got me to convert. I mean, how good does this look? Can’t you just picture yourself enjoying a plateful of this on a hot summer day?
For this light and refreshing cucumber salad I was forced to purchase a cucumber from the grocery store since my plants aren’t quite producing yet, but it was worth it. I’m totally detoxing after consecutive weekends in Chicago and New York, so vegetables are just what I need right now. Plus, its kind of hot in San Diego these days so this was a nice cool treat for lunch.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon sugar
- ½ cup (1-inch) slices orange bell pepper
- ½ cup (1-inch) slices yellow bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 hothouse cucumber, sliced
- Combine the first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Add bell peppers and remaining ingredients to vinegar mixture; toss gently to coat.
**Recipe adapted from Cooking Light
I’m hoping to post a garden update sooner than later, but in the meantime I’m interested to hear what other people are growing this year. Raise your hand if cucumbers are among your vegetables! What are your favorite things to make with your garden harvest? Leave me a comment and let me know your favorite straight from the garden dishes are
The Very Best Cucumber Recipes