This spicy cucumber and peanut salad seems unassuming, but holy Toledo, it is WAY delicious! When I saw this recipe I happened to have a cucumber on hand so I thought I’d give it a go, but I didn’t think it was going to blow me away like it did. I’m not sure if it was the peanuts or what, but I could not stop eating it. Thankfully, my garden has about a dozen cucumbers in various stages of growth so I should be set for the whole summer.
Sorry for the quick posts this week. I am swamped with work (a good thing!) Besides, its summer so when I do have a free moment, the gorgeous weather beckons me out of the kitchen. Next time I decide to ditch the kitchen for some sunshine (which will probably be later today) I’m going to pack a to-go version of this spicy cucumber and peanut salad. Obsessed.
Spicy Cucumber and Peanut Salad
Best ever cold cucumber salad.
- 1 1/2 pounds cucumber peeled, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped dry-roasted peanuts
- Place the cucumber slices in a colander; sprinkle with salt. Toss well. Drain 1 hour. Place cucumber slices on several layers of paper towels; cover with additional paper towels. Let stand 5 minutes, pressing down occasionally. Rinse and pat dry.
- Combine vinegar, water, sugar, and pepper in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook until reduced to 1/3 cup (about 10 minutes). Remove vinegar reduction from heat; cool. Stir in onion. Combine cucumbers and vinegar reduction in a medium bowl; toss well. Sprinkle with peanuts.