The Hubs and I have spent the last 12 years working it out around each others travel schedules. First The Hubs was in the navy, and we weathered long term deployments and two solid years of him flying all over the world to inspect deployed ships during his stint as an assessor.
His current job keeps him on the move domestically, while my international interests and travels have increased simultaneously with our growing brood of nieces and nephews who each get at least one in-person visit from us each year.
We often find ourselves meeting up somewhere in the middle, then going our separate ways. I’m not sure if it will ever slow down, and the longer we do this, I’m not sure that I want it to.
I’ve come to really depend on my solitude. To say that I’m introspective would be an understatement. As dangerous as it can be for me to get sucked into the black hole of my own thoughts and emotions, it’s also completely necessary when it comes to my creativity. Without my deep feeling Scorpio soul, I would be lost.
Do I miss him when he’s gone? Usually. Do I wish we could spend more time together? Yes, unless it’s when I’m creating or thinking about creating something.
Our life and crazy schedule just works for us. It allows me the time I need to express myself uninterrupted, and it allows him the time he needs to focus on his work without feeling guilty about not spending time with me and Olive. Plus, I’ve gotten really good about cooking awesome meals for one like this jerk salmon with a sweet and spicy slaw.
We’re both home now, and this time we have together is truly valued. It’s a challenging way to live, but our appreciation for each other is uniquely strong because of it.
- **This recipe is for a single serving. Increase amounts exponentially depending on how many you're serving**
- 4 oz salmon filet
- 1 tablespoon jerk seasoning
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons sriracha sauce
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups cabbage, shredded
- ¼ cup thinly sliced radishes
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped
- Coat boat sides of the salmon with jerk seasoning.
- In a small bowl combine honey and sriracha sauce.
- In a medium bowl whisk together ½ the honey-sriracha mixture with apple cider vinegar, and olive oil. Add cabbage, radishes, scallions and cilantro. Toss to coat.
- Heat vegetable oil in a pan over medium high heat. Add salmon to the pan, skin side up, and cook for 5-6 minutes. Flip salmon and glaze with remaining ½ of honey-sriracha mixture. Cook 1-2 minutes more until cooked through.
- Serve on top of slaw.