I can’t quite pinpoint why I’ve felt so restless lately. I’ve got a ton on my plate, and have lots of exciting things going on, but my brain, and my heart, have been all over the place. I’m struggling to live as presently as I would like to.
As with anything, my solution is to plug away, try a new approach, and just keep at it until it works itself out…..whatever “it” may be. Part of my new approach this time around, is to clean and organize. To refresh my personal space in hopes of freshening a place in my mind as well.
The majority of my life takes place in a kitchen, so the natural place to start my cleaning mission is there. Winging it with whatever I have on hand has long been a favorite activity of mine, so I figure if I start using up all the random stuff in my pantry, perhaps that will spark some sort of revelation within me. Worst case scenario is that I get something good to eat, so it’s really a win/win situation.
Let’s begin with this Almond Orange Vanilla Pound Cake . I accidentally bought Vanilla Almond Milk. I know, how does someone “accidentally” buy something like that? It’s a long, dumb story so let’s forget it, ok? Just know, I didn’t want to throw it away so I had to figure out how to use it. Almond Orange Vanilla Pound Cake is my answer.
Do I feel enlightened? No, not yet anyway. Was this pound cake awesomely delicious? Yes. I think I’m slowly moving in the right direction. I could be one meal away from absolute nirvana. Only time will tell.
Almond Orange Vanilla Pound Cake
Almond Orange Vanilla Pound Cake Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 3/4 cup vanilla almond milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar sifted
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a loaf pan generously with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, sugar and orange zest.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together almond milk, vegetable oil, eggs, 1 teaspoon orange juice, and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until fully combined.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 55-60 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, prepare the glaze by whisking together powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons orange juice.
- Cool loaf in the pan for 15 minutes, then remove from the pan, pour glaze evenly over the top of the loaf, and cool completely.