Bbq chicken pizza featuring a crispy crust topped with sweet and spicy bbq sauce, juicy chicken, and finished with crispy cabbage, red onions, carrots and cilantro. A fun twist on an American classic. Even pizza purists will go crazy for this exciting combination.
I thought starting the week with some pizza might be a good thing. Strangely enough, I’m not usually a big pizza fan. What?!?! I know, right? It’s really pizza sauce that I don’t love (I’ll eat it if it’s put in front of me, but I would never choose to order it) so non-traditional pizzas like this BBQ chicken pizza with tangy slaw are more my speed.
You know, I write a LOT of really positive stuff on this blog, but today is Monday, and I already mentioned that I don’t like pizza, so I think I’ll just start this week out by unloading a list of all the things I don’t like. It’s like the opposite of The Great List. Brace yourself.
In terms of food I also don’t like bananas, mayo, olives, beets, almond milk, mangoes, ketchup, lamb, and chardonnay.
In life, I could do without people who don’t use their turn signals, paper straws, bedazzled adult jeans, lateness, time wasters, snow, cobwebs across a sidewalk, bad parking, complainers, litter, garden pests, junk mail, rude people, and technical difficulties.
Who’s with me?
Phew! That felt great! Now that I’ve released all my irritations, I feel ready to tackle this week head on starting with some BBQ chicken pizza. I’ve found this exercise to be strangely therapeutic. Perhaps I’ll continue it (personally, not on the blog) in the future. Sometimes you’ve just got to vent and let it all out in order to make room for some good stuff in your day.
“You will find that it is necessary to let things go; simply for the reason that they are heavy. So let them go, let go of them. I tie no weights to my ankles.” ― C. JoyBell C.
BBQ Chicken Pizza
Mix up your pizza game with this light and spicy BBQ Chicken Pizza recipe
- 12 ounces refrigerated fresh pizza dough
- 1/3 cup unsalted ketchup
- 1/4 cup lower-sodium marinara sauce
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon honey mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground ancho chile pepper
- 1 teaspoon lower-sodium Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 ounces shredded skinless boneless rotisserie chicken breast
- 2 teaspoons cornmeal
- 3 ounces reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese grated (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Dash of sugar
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green cabbage
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 3 tablespoons grated carrot
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Remove dough from refrigerator. Let stand at room temperature, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Place a pizza stone or heavy baking sheet in oven. Preheat oven to 500° (keep pizza stone or baking sheet in oven as it preheats).
- Combine ketchup and next 8 ingredients (through onion powder) in a small saucepan; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat; cook 6 minutes. Combine 2 tablespoons ketchup mixture and chicken in a small bowl; toss to coat.
- Roll dough into a 14-inch circle on a lightly floured surface; pierce liberally with a fork. Carefully remove pizza stone from oven. Sprinkle cornmeal over stone; place dough on stone. Spread remaining sauce over crust, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Arrange chicken mixture over dough. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 500° for 9 minutes or until crust and cheese are browned.
- Combine vinegar, oil, and sugar in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Stir in cabbage, onion, and carrot; toss to coat. Top pizza with cabbage mixture, parsley, and red pepper. Cut into 8 wedges.