I’m having a hard time writing about these BBQ Chicken Sandwiches. My brain has been in over drive lately with the new site launch, and getting through last minute work stuff before I leave for my annual trip to Seattle on Thursday. You know how it is before vacation……laundry, packing, yada, yada, yada. I’m short on time, and mental focus.
Actually, now that I think about it, this BBQ chicken is actually the perfect thing to make when you’re brain dead. Its super simple, takes minimal effort and ingredients, and is deliciously filling once its ready. It will make you feel like you really accomplished something even though you barely have to do anything. Extra effort required is the last thing I need right now.
BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
BBQ Chicken Sandwiches Recipe
- 4 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 ounces barbecue sauce store-bought or homemade, plus more for serving **I used store bought
- Heat the oven to 325°F.
- In a Dutch oven or heavy pot (with a lid) heat olive oil over medium heat. Cook the onion and garlic for 5 minutes or until soft. Stir in smoked paprika and chili powder. Add the chicken piece by piece, stirring to mix well with the onion. Stir in the salt and pepper. Add barbecue sauce and bring to a simmer. Turn off the heat.
- Bake, covered, for 90 minutes, or until the chicken is extremely tender. Remove from the oven and use a slotted spoon to remove the chicken to a large bowl. Use two forks to shred the chicken finely.
- Meanwhile, put the sauce on the stove over high heat. Bring to a boil and reduce the liquid in the pan to about half. Pour this thickened sauce over the shredded chicken and stir.
- Serve on whole wheat buns with a side of coleslaw (store bought again!)