Potatoes are my favorite food, but when they’re topped with bacon and cheese my love for them reaches new heights. I had intended these broccoli, bacon and cheddar potato bites to be a little snack during Sunday football, but we ended up eating them throughout the afternoon and evening and skipping dinner all together.
Complete meals have been the last thing on my mind lately. Making the most of Fun Month has been my number one priority, but I’ve also had my hands in a ton of new projects that have been taking up most of my attention. One of the good things about not having children is that it doesn’t matter one way or another if dinner is available. The Hubs can grab whatever he needs or wants, and I can stay focused on whatever task I’m engrossed in at the moment.
Despite being hyper focused on my work, this block of Kerry Gold Skellig cheese was never far from my thoughts. I’m kind of obsessed with all Kerry Gold products. In my opinion, they make the best cheese on earth. Once hunger finally struck and I decided to make these potato snacks, I knew that the Skellig would finally be consumed.
These potato bites might just be the perfect snack food. They’re filling, hearty, relatively easy to make, and taste great fresh from the oven, or reheated several hours later. Don’t have bacon or broccoli? You could make them with pepperonis and pizza sauce, or ham and swiss. I had initially planned to make them with the Kerry Gold cheese only, but when I got to the fridge, the broccoli and bacon called out to me.
The next time you need a mini meal, a meal for one, a football snack, or all of the above, think of me, and think of my undying love for potatoes and Kerry Gold cheese. Then head to your kitchen, make some potato bites, and enjoy!
- 1½ lbs baby potatoes
- 5 strips bacon cooked and finely chopped
- ½ cups broccoli florets, finely chopped
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 7oz block cheddar cheese. shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Poke holes in the potatoes using a fork. Place potatoes on a baking sheet and roast for 30-35 minutes or until soft.
- Allow the potatoes to cool until they are able to be handled. Slice each potato in half and carefully scoop out the insides reserving the skins.
- Mix potato with bacon, broccoli, sour cream and half of the shredded cheese.
- Pile mixture back into potato skins. Top with remaining shredded cheese and bake 8-10 minutes until cheese melts and becomes bubbly.