Contrary to popular belief due to my freckles, I am not Irish. Not even a bit. I do, however, enjoy traditional Irish fare namely potatoes and cabbage. When my St. Patrick’s themed box from Melissa’s produce arrived last week, I was stoked to see loads of potatoes and baby brussels sprouts, or as I like to call them, mini cabbages. Also in the box was an ingredient I’d never seen before. Kale sprouts. I love cooking with the unknown so I was excited for a culinary challenge.
Another thing I have in common with the Irish is the love of beer. What goes better with beer than pizza? My non-Irish brain formulated this great plan to make an “Irish” pizza with the ingredients from my produce box, and wash it down with a creamy Guinness.
My plan was a success!
This pizza was delicious (and healthy!) and the perfect food for a Saturday afternoon with friends and drinks.
Brussels Sprout and Potato Pizza
Vegetarian friendly pizza recipe
- 1 cup thinly sliced brussels sprouts
- 1 cup kale sprouts
- 2 teaspoons Olive Oil
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 cup thinly sliced fingerling potatoes
- 1 tube pre-made pizza dough
- Kosher Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan
- Toss brussels sprouts and kale sprouts in olive oil and salt & pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF.
- Spread pizza dough on a sheet pan sprayed with cooking spray
- Place the potato slices on the pizza.
- Sprinkle the pizza with garlic, italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
- Pre-bake for 5-7 minutes or until the crust is golden and the potatoes are getting tender.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the shredded brussels sprouts and kale sprouts over the top of the pizza.
- Dot the ricotta cheese in 2-ounce dollops over the top of the pizza.Sprinkle with shredded parmesan.
- Bake another 10 minutes until the brussels sprouts are tender and just beginning to char.
- 11. If desired, drizzle with truffle oil, and then slice and serve hot!