All this cake is making me hungry! Seriously. I’ve been trying to follow the “slow carb” diet with The Hubs this week, and have been REALLY good at not cheating. In fact, The Hubs and I put our portion of these cakes in the freezer to eat on our cheat day this weekend. Looking at these pictures make me want to eat them now!
Other than lusting after cake, not much has been happening around here this week. Houseguest dog, Jack, and Tally have finally bonded and spend most of the day wrestling with each other, and Grace, our older dog, just got a clean bill of health from the vet today. Whoop. Pretty exciting stuff huh? Anyway, just enjoy the recipe and pictures!
Note: I made a big mistake when making this recipe. I didn’t read the recipe through all the way and completely missed the part about the basil whipped cream! Grrr! Next time I will definitely make that part!
Pound cake with balsamic strawberries and basil whipped cream recipe from Southern Living
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 5 basil leaves, torn (about 3 Tbsp.)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 (16-oz.) packages fresh strawberries, sliced
- 6 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 8 Buttermilk Pound Cake slices
1. Stir together whipping cream and basil in a small bowl; cover and chill 8 to 12 hours.
2. Cook vinegar and brown sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, 2 to 3 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat, and stir in pepper; cool completely (about 30 minutes).
3. Stir together sliced strawberries and vinegar mixture in a large bowl; cover and let stand 30 minutes.
4. Pour cream mixture through a wire-mesh strainer into a bowl, discarding basil. Beat whipping cream at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy; gradually add powdered sugar, beating until soft peaks form.
5. Serve pound cake slices with strawberry mixture and basil whipped cream.
Okay, seriously? Where did you learn to bake some yummy looking treats? (And on a separate note, I’ve been wondering – when you bake five cakes at a time, how do you store them until you’re ready to eat them? I’m such a newb at this baking/cooking stuff.) The basil whipped cream sounds delicious. You should make something else with it and then tell us all about it!
Lisa @ Sweet as Sugar Cookies says
Oh boy, I’ve heard about how good balsamic is with strawberries and with a piece of cake this would be an amazing treat. It looks terrific. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I’d like to invite you to stop by and link your cake up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/03/sweets-for-saturday-10.html
I’d love that! Thanks Lisa! This cake seemed like the simplest from all the ones I made last week, but It definitely got the best reception. Balsamic Strawberries are to die for!