This post has been sponsored by MARS. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Now that the interior of our house is unpacked, it’s time to focus on the backyard. I’m really looking forward to tackling this project, and it could not come at a better time. The days are long, the weather is starting to warm up, and I’m feeling very motivated and inspired to begin working on this space that will hopefully, one day, be an extension of our home, and a place where we entertain our friends.
Currently our yard is a blank slate. There’s a little circle of grass, a border of wood chips, and some beautiful, flowering trees that have real potential. We have a grand vision to put in a little casita, some raised garden beds, and a beautiful deck where we can entertain all summer long.
As much as I would love to wave my magic wand, and have our yard ready for this summer, I realize that this is a long term project, and it’s going to take some patience. In the meantime, I’m going to channel my summertime goals and inspirations into an easier to create, yet still festive, treat.
I was at Target the other day and was drawn to these summer inspired ingredients; M&M’s Milk Chocolate Red, White, & Blue, and Pillsbury Star & Stripes Funfetti Cake Mix. They reminded me of the many years of 4th of July pool parties we hosted at our house in San Diego, and I knew exactly what I wanted to make.
My number one indulgent treat is ice cream, and The Hubs number one indulgent treat is cookies. I think it’s safe to say that I’ve made more than my fair share of ice cream cookie sandwiches in order to appease us both. Right there in Target, I knew that there were some red, white and blue ice cream sandwiches in our future.
Did you know it’s really easy to make cookies with cake mix? You can use any cake mix, and add in whatever fun ingredients you want, but this Pillsbury Star & Stripes Funfetti Cake Mix comes summer ready with red, white and blue sprinkles flecked throughout.
When choosing what ice cream to use in the center, I considered something red, white or blue, but then I decided there was nothing more classic, and more summery than neapolitan.
Just to add a little something extra, I lined the rim of each sandwich with some Red, White, & Blue M&M’s. I think they turned out so cute!
Since we currently don’t have a backyard to entertain in, or very many friends nearby for that matter, The Hubs and I were forced to enjoy all of these sandwiches ourselves.
I’m not complaining.
Hopefully by the time the days are truly hot, and summer is in full swing, we’ll be able to have some new friends over to share our fun and festive ice cream sandwiches with and enjoy our new backyard, whatever state of completion it’s in.
Cake Mix Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
Cake Mix Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
For the cookies
- 1-15.25 oz box Pillsbury Star & Stripes Funfetti Cake Mix
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Sandwiches
- Neapolitan Ice cream or your favorite ice cream
- M&M’s Milk Chocolate Red White, & Blue
To make the cookies
- In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix and baking powder. In a small bowl, mix together the eggs, oil and vanilla. Add the egg mixture to the cake mixture and stir until fully combined.
- Chill dough for at least 1 hour or overnight
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Drop tablespoon sized balls of cookie dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Cookies may look a little under done when they come out of the oven.
- Allow to cool for about 5 minutes on the cookie sheet before transferring to cooling rack.
To assemble the sandwiches
- Scoop 1/3 cup ice cream onto a fully cooled cookie. Top with another cookie then quickly press M&M's around the edge. Place sandwiches in the freezer to set before serving.