It’s authentic chicken posole in make-ahead, freezer-friendly, casserole form! This easy Chicken Posole Casserole will become a family favorite! It’s quick and easy comfort food and definitely something different if you’ve never had posole!
I’m sure by this point in the new year everyone is back into their regular routines. As life picks up, I’m in need of some quick and easy meals, like this chicken posole casserole, to keep me fueled up for my busy weeks.
A new year calls for new projects and partnerships, and I’m happy to announce that I’ve teamed up with 11 other bloggers and we’ll be bringing you 12 fabulous, seasonal recipes each month of 2014. For January we’re focusing on healthy and quick weeknight meals.
Chicken Posole Casserole
My contribution is this chicken posole casserole. It’s a great way to use up leftovers, and you can make the filling ahead and freeze it for a day when the clock gets away from you.
Be sure to click around, meet all my new friends, and check out their healthy and quick weeknight meals as well!
Chicken Posole Casserole By Betsy at Betsy Life
Coconut Chicken Tenders by Brandie at Home Cooking Memories
Easy Sweet Potato Sliders by Jess at A Million Moments
Quick, Easy, and Healthy White Chicken Enchilada Soup by Melissa at Bless this Mess
Tuna Nicoise Frittata by Stephie at Eat Your Heart Out
Bacon, Egg and Spinach Casserole by Vanessa at See Vanessa Craft
Clean Eating: Quick & Healthy Baked Ziti by Wendy at Around My Family Table
Spaghetti Squash with Pesto by Wendy at Choosing Love
Chicken Posole Casserole
It's authentic chicken posole in make-ahead, freezer-friendly, casserole form! This easy Chicken Posole Casserole will become a family favorite! It's quick and easy comfort food and definitely something different if you've never had posole!
For the Filling
- 1 cup unsalted chicken stock
- 1 pound tomatillos husks removed and quartered
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 large poblano pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 15-ounce cans white hominy, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons finely ground yellow cornmeal
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Cooking spray
For the Topping
- 5.63 ounces unbleached all-purpose flour about 1 1/4 cups
- 2/3 cup finely ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup chilled butter cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
- 3 ounces pepper-Jack cheese shredded (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 1/4 cups fat-free buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- To prepare filling, place chicken stock and tomatillos in a blender; process until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion, garlic, and poblano; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in cumin; sauté 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add stock mixture, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and hominy; bring to a simmer. Stir in 2 tablespoons cornmeal; simmer 1 minute or until thickened. Stir in chicken and cilantro. Pour into a 13 x 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- To prepare topping, weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flour and the next 4 ingredients (through 1/4 teaspoon salt) in a medium bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in chopped green onions and pepper-Jack cheese. Add buttermilk; stir just until combined. Drop batter by 2 tablespoonfuls evenly over filling.
- Bake at 400° for 28 minutes or until topping is lightly browned.
More easy casserole recipes
- Make ahead cheesy turkey and zucchini casserole
- Cheesy Sausage and Roasted Vegetable Casserole
- Gingerbread French Toast Casserole