This healthy Make-Ahead Cheesy Zucchini and Turkey Casserole recipe is easy to throw together, and it’s gluten-free and full of veggies! The answer to your “What to make with ground turkey?” question.
Blergh. Monday again. I’m writing this in the Salt Lake City airport en route to Idaho for the potato harvest. As mundane as that may sound to you, I’m actually super stoked not only to check out this part of the country that I’ve never been to, but also to learn about where my second favorite food of all time comes from (still waiting for my pineapple harvest invitation). Sure as hell beats sitting in my office all week long.
As excited as I am, this layover is sorta painful. Not only did I have a 4am wake up call which is never fun, but this is also the first time I’m at an airport where I can’t eat and drink to pass the time since I’m intermittent fasting (Google it).
Is it noon yet?
Since I can’t eat any food until later, I figured why not edit food photos and write about it while I wait? Apparently I’m a glutton for punishment.
Last week I was in a fridge clean out frenzy. Do you ever have that feeling where you just want to get rid of all your stuff and start over? I’m there right now. Instead of being ballsy and purging anything truly significant, I opted to ease into it by combining everything random from my fridge and pantry into one meal. It definitely cleared up some space so I guess that’s something.
If you’re not aware already, let me just enlighten you to some secrets of “cooking”.
- You can combine pretty much any combination of meats, beans, vegetables, rice and/or pasta, spices and cheese and call it a casserole.
- 95% of these casseroles can be made ahead of time, frozen, and reheated.
Miraculous right? I like to get my casserole on when I go out of town, in the hopes that The Hubs won’t eat only frozen pizzas and beer while I’m gone. Usually he ignores me and goes the pizza route anyway, but I’ll never stop trying.
This time around I was working with ground turkey, zucchini, leftover groats (Google it. Sorry, I’m too tired for explanations today) Kerrygold Aged Cheddar, canned diced tomatoes, and fresh basil.
Mix, mix, mix. Boom! A casserole is born. Prepared and ready to eat for The Hubs if he decides to partake in some actual nutrition while I’m busy digging taters.
Cheesy Zucchini and Turkey Casserole
This healthy ground turkey casserole recipe is easy to throw together and you can even make it ahead of time! The answer to your "What to make with ground turkey?" question.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 lbs of zucchini diced
- 2 cups prepared groats or brown rice, quinoa, etc.
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 7 oz Kerrygold aged cheddar shredded
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat a large skillet to medium high heat. Add olive oil and ground turkey. Cook until meat begins to brown.
- Add onion and garlic. Cook 2 minutes until onions begin to soften and garlic is fragrant.
- Add zucchini and cook 3-4 more minutes until zucchini begins to soften.
- Add groats, diced tomatoes, oregano, paprika, basil and 1/2 of the shredded cheese. Stir until fully combined.
- Pour mixture into a 9X13 baking dish coated in cooking spray. Top with remaining cheese. Cover tightly and freeze for later (defrost before cooking) or bake, uncovered for 20-25 minutes until cheese is bubbly.
Try these other quick and easy casserole recipes