I’ll be honest, football food is my favorite part of football season. I love getting together over an array of appetizers to watch the big game, or in my case, chat with my friends or surf Instagram on my phone while The Hubs watches the big game. At least I’m not one of those wives who gets all pissy during football season. Heck, if you stick a cheesy morsel in front of me you won’t see me being pissy any time of the year, and that is a fact.
This year we’ll be doing our second annual Rusty’s PB chili challenge on Superbowl Sunday. (Take a wild guess which blogger/chili cooker extraordinaire and her Hubs won the first year). Since I will be returning from what is sure to be a wild weekend in Seattle visiting my friend Jenny earlier that morning, I won’t be participating in this years chili cook-off, allowing someone else to take home the prize.
For those of you who don’t plan on eating 15 different kinds of chili on Superbowl Sunday, you should try whipping up a few of these tasty football food recipes. Especially my latest: these healthy (ok, healthier than deep fried) baked mozzarella bites!
Baked Mozzarella Bites
Baked Mozzarella Bites Recipe
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs I used Italian seasoned ones
- 1 block of mozzarella cheese frozen and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add 1/3 cup breadcrumbs to pan, and cook for 2 minutes or until toasted, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, and place in a shallow dish.
- Working with one piece at a time, dip frozen cheese cubes in egg, then dredge in breadcrumbs. Place cheese on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 5 minutes or until the cheese is softened and thoroughly heated.
- Pour the marinara sauce into a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 1 minute or until thoroughly heated, stirring after 30 seconds. Serve with mozzarella pieces.
Your Superbowl menu shouldn’t end there! Every great football party needs a dip! My favorite is this Spicy Tomato and Onion Dip
For the vegetarians out there, try this Avocado and Chimichurri Bruschetta
If you’re looking for a bit more substance, you should check out these Healthy Turkey Potstickers (easier to make than you’d think)
Or if you just like fast and spicy, you cannot go wrong with Sriracha Popcorn
Enjoy your snacking and football viewing this weekend! May the best Harbaugh win!