Summer is right around the corner and I could not be more excited to fire up the grill. Grilling is a real crowd pleaser in this house because The Hubs loves to grill slabs of meat, and I love to grill fish and veggies. There’s actually no limit to the things you can grill if you just let your imagination run wild. I’ve grilled everything from salad, to avocados, to even dessert.
I’m kicking off my 2015 grilling season with this super light and fresh grilled Idaho® potato and shrimp salad. It’s great served either hot or cold, and is a picnic must have.
Grilled Shrimp and Potato Salad
Grilled Shrimp and Idaho® Potato Salad Recipe
- 1 lb red or yellow Idaho® potatoes halved
- 1 lb shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 avocado diced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced into strips
- 1 orange bell pepper sliced into strips
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano chopped
- 1/4 cup+2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard I like to use jalapeño dijon for extra spice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 garlic clove minced
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat grill to medium heat.
Skewer the potatoes and shrimp. Coat with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Place potatoes on the grill first. Grill for about 8 minutes, or until they begin to char on one side then turn. Add shrimp skewers to the grill. Turn shrimp after 4 minutes. Remove all skewers once potatoes are fork tender and shrimp are pink and opaque. Allow to cool.
Meanwhile, add tomatoes, avocado, peppers, onion and herbs to a large bowl. Remove potatoes and shrimp from skewers and add to the vegetable mixture.
In a small bowl, whisk together remaining olive oil, vinegar, dijon, honey, and garlic. Drizzle over shrimp and vegetable mixture and toss to coat.
Serve warm or chilled.
For more excellent videos check out my video section, and for more excellent potato recipes, be sure to head over to Idahopotato.com