This post is sponsored all opinions are my own. Muhammara is a a healthy dip made from roasted red peppers and walnuts. Super flavorful and versatile! Serve with crackers. chips or even use it as a sandwich spread. Your family will love this recipe.
Over the years I have made many dishes. Some I like, some I love, some I make to please a crowd, and some are more of an acquired taste.
Sometimes The Hubs asks me to never make a dish again, and other times he asks if we can repeat (I rarely make the same thing twice once the recipe is done. On to the next!)
My favorite things to make are usually either healthy, or terribly, over the top indulgent. They tend to be unusual or something that sparks my imagination, and they have to be accessible. No obscure tools or cooking methods here!
This particular recipe for Muhammara, checked a TON of boxes for me.
Muhammara is definitely healthy, which is great this time of year when we’re all bundled in sweaters and recovering from the holiday season.
I got all the items at Sprouts, including the walnuts from their bulk section, which my favorite hangout spot. When I try new recipes, I don’t want to get stuck with a full stash of something I may not use again. Shopping in the Sprouts bulk section you can buy as much or as little as you need. Even spices!
The Hubs has long expressed his hatred of walnuts, so if I was unable to trick him into eating them (another favorite pastime of mine) then I definitely didn’t want to have a bunch laying around.
Muhammara Red Pepper and Walnut Dip
All it took to make this smoky, spicy roasted red pepper dip was a couple of measuring spoons/cups and a small food processor. As easy as can be.
The final recipe blew me away. This dip is by far one of my most favorite things I’ve made lately. I love the texture and the versatility of this (It’s a dip! It’s a sandwich spread!), and I will definitely make it again…..and again, and again.
I think this is my new signature recipe!
Extra bonus; I made The Hubs try it without telling him what it was, and he loved it! He couldn’t believe that it was made with walnuts.
With spring right around the corner and thoughts of outdoor dining and dinner parties in my head, this Muhammara dip is at the top of my “party food” list. Trust me when I say, you need this in your life.
If you give this recipe a try, I’d love to see it! Tag me @betsylife on Facebook or Instagram and I’ll share your creations!
Muhammara Red Pepper and Walnut Dip
Muhammara is a a healthy dip made from roasted red peppers and walnuts. Super flavorful and versatile! Serve with crackers. chips or even use it as a sandwich spread. Your family will love this recipe.
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 3 large red peppers
- 1 cup walnuts lightly toasted
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- 1 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 Tbsp. bread crumbs
- Salt to taste
Whisk together pomegranate juice and brown sugar in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat until liquid thickens and reduces to a syrup-like consistency (about 10 minutes) Set aside.
- Roast red peppers over the flame of a gas stove or under the broiler set to high heat until blackened and charred on all sides. Place charred peppers in a Ziploc bag and seal. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Once peppers have cooled enough to handle, remove skins and seeds and roughly chop.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine peppers, 2 tsp. of pomegranate reduction, walnuts, scallions, lemon juice, cumin, red pepper flakes, olive oil, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. Process until smooth. If you want a thicker dip, add an additional Tbsp. of breadcrumbs. If you prefer a looser dip, add more olive oil until desired consistency is reached.
- Serve with crackers or grilled pita bread.