Potato, Bacon and Lobster Chowder is the perfect way to beat the winter blues. When it’s gray and cold outside, this savory and comforting soup recipe will warm you from the inside out.
I thought that potato, bacon and lobster chowder sounded like a fancy, romantic meal to share with you all for valentines day.
In reality, I ate this alone while The Hubs was traveling.
It doesn’t make it any less delicious or romantic. It totally made me fall in love with myself.
I’ve really been lagging on my soup making this winter. Usually I make at least one soup per week, but that hasn’t been the case this winter. I’m not really sure why.
It’s definitely been cold enough. Ok, maybe not as cold as the rest of the country, but plenty cold for Southern California. I guess I’ve just been focused on other things.
I’d better start now though, because spring starts in February around these parts!
Potato Bacon and Lobster Chowder
This lobster chowder contains everything good in life. Potatoes: check. Bacon: check. Heavy cream: check! LOBSTER!!!
Don’t be intimidated by seafood. Lobster tails are very easy to cook and remove from the shell. A quick boil in a flavorful stock and a couple of snips with some kitchen shears, and you’re in fancy seafood business.
Maybe lobster tails aren’t something that fits into your budget each week. Same here. I like to watch for sales at my local grocery store, and then add this chowder to my menu when I can get a great discount. If that happens to be in the middle of the summer, so be it! I’ll eat soup any time of the year.
Happy Valentine’s Day to you all! The Hubs flies home today and we’ll probably eat Wendy’s for dinner or get tacos or something. We’re not big Valentiner’s around here. I would like to say that I love you all, and any chance I get to express my gratitude for all you wonderful readers I’m going to take it.
May your Valentine’s day be filled with joy and peace. XO
If you give this recipe a try, I’d love to see it! Tag me @betsylife on Facebook or Instagram and I’ll share your creations!
More great soup recipes
**This recipe was updated in April 2019**
Potato, Bacon, and Lobster Chowder
Potato, Bacon and Lobster Chowder is the perfect way to beat the winter blues. When it's gray and cold outside, this savory and comforting soup recipe will warm you from the inside out.
- 1 cup clam juice
- 1 cup white wine
- 3 ccup seafood broth
- 2-4 oz lobster tails
- 2 slices bacon
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cup diced russet potato
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 ribs of celery diced
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- chives for garnish
- In a medium pan combine clam juice, white wine, and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil. Add lobster tails and boil for 5-7 minutes until lobster is cooked through. Remove lobster. Stir in Flavor Boost. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove meat from lobster shell, roughly chop, and set aside.
- In a large stockpot cook bacon over medium heat until done. Remove and set aside.
- Add garlic, onion, potato, carrots and celery to bacon grease, and saute for 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften.
- Stir in tarragon, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Add enough of the broth mixture to cover vegetables. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are cooked through.
- Scoop one cup of vegetable mixture into a small bowl. Using a stick blender, blend until smooth. Return blended vegetables to stock pot, and whisk until well incorporated.
- Whisk in the remaining broth and heavy cream.
- Crumble bacon into the mixture, and return chopped lobster to the pot. Simmer 5 minutes. Garnish with chives and serve immediately