I thought that potato, bacon and lobster chowder sounded like a fancy, romantic meal to share with you all for valentines day. In reality, I ate this alone while The Hubs was traveling. It doesn’t make it any less delicious or romantic. It totally made me fall in love with myself.
I’ve really been lagging on my soup making this winter. Usually I make at least one soup per week, but that hasn’t been the case this winter. I’m not really sure why. Its definitely been cold enough. Ok, maybe not as cold as the rest of the country, but plenty cold for Southern California. I guess I’ve just been focused on other things. I’d better start now though, because spring starts in February around these parts!
Whether you’re trying to woo someone special, or just treating yourself, or if you’re trying to warm up from the inside out, give this awesome potato, bacon and lobster chowder a try. Its hearty, amazingly tasty, and will make anyone you feed it to feel very special.
Potato, Bacon, and Lobster Chowder
Potato, Bacon and Lobster Chowder Recipe
- 1 c. clam juice
- 1 c. white wine
- 3 c. vegetable broth
- 2 4 oz lobster tails
- 1 packet Swanson's Seafood Flavor Boost
- 2 slices bacon
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 c. diced onion
- 2 c. diced russet potato
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 ribs of celery diced
- 1 tsp dried tarragon
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 c. heavy cream
- chives for garnish
- In a medium pan combine clam juice, white wine, and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil. Add lobster tails and boil for 5-7 minutes until lobster is cooked through. Remove lobster. Stir in Flavor Boost. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove meat from lobster shell, roughly chop, and set aside.
- In a large stockpot cook bacon over medium heat until done. Remove and set aside.
- Add garlic, onion, potato, carrots and celery to bacon grease, and saute for 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften.
- Stir in tarragon, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Add enough of the broth mixture to cover vegetables. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are cooked through.
- Scoop one cup of vegetable mixture into a small bowl. Using a stick blender, blend until smooth. Return blended vegetables to stock pot, and whisk until well incorporated.
- Whisk in the remaining broth and heavy cream.
- Crumble bacon into the mixture, and return chopped lobster to the pot. Simmer 5 minutes. Garnish with chives and serve immediately
Happy Valentine’s Day to you all! The Hubs flies home today and we’ll probably eat Wendy’s for dinner or get tacos or something. We’re not big Valentiner’s around here. I would like to say that I love you all, and any chance I get to express my gratitude for all you wonderful readers I’m going to take it. May your Valentine’s day be filled with joy and peace. XO