I’ve become a bit of a quinoa junkie. Never a big carb eater, I’ve found quinoa to be a perfect solution for me. It’s protein-ful, satisfying, and pretty much the most versatile thing ever to make. Once it hit the scene it quickly became my #1 ingredient of choice.
I’ve made it into bite sized appetizers a la buffalo wings , I’ve used it in curry, casseroles , and salads. I’ve turned it into vegan burgers, and even used it as a crust for a shepherds pie. Anything you would normally make with rice, I now make with quinoa.
For my next trick, I will follow that logic and turn quinoa into “fried rice”.
The best part is, it’s not fried. The second best part is, it’s not rice. I’m sure there are those out there who would disagree with me on this, but just give it a try before you judge. I’m pretty sure you’ll find it as satisfying as the original.
Quinoa “Fried Rice”
Fried Rice made with quinoa
- 1 cup prepared quinoa
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon Gourmet Garden fresh ginger
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- ½ cup frozen edamame
- 2 medium carrots diced
- 1 cup spinach
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 bunch green onions chopped
- In a large skillet heat the oil over medium high heat. Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about one minute.
- Add pepper, edamame, and carrots.Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add spinach. Cover and continue cooking until spinach begins to wilt. Stir in quinoa and soy sauce and mix well to combine.
- Add in the eggs and cook, stirring occasionally, until the eggs are cooked through, about 5 minutes
- Top with chopped green onions and serve