I figured pancakes were a good way to kick off a new week. Pancakes aren’t generally my thing. I’m more of an eggs kind of girl, but these healthy quinoa pancakes really appealed to me. I usually think of pancakes as heavy “weekend food” that you scarf down, and then they sit like a brick in your stomach for the rest of the day.
These pancakes are just the opposite. They’re small, light, and have an extra boost of protein from the quinoa that help keep me full until lunch time without weighing me down.
I recently learned pancakes make excellent freezer food. I should have remembered this from ordering market day pancakes from school when I was a kid. This is great news for The Hubs and I who can never eat an entire batch of pancakes just the two of us, and also great for me who tends to eat my breakfast of either a hard boiled egg, or toast with peanut butter, in my car every morning on my way to work.
Now I can reheat a quinoa pancake, spread that with peanut butter, and eat that in the car on my way to work. Talk about really stretching my horizons huh?
The moral of the story is, pancakes aren’t just for weekends anymore! Make a big batch, freeze them, and eat them every day if you want to.
A high protein breakfast will keep you going all day long. The addition of quinoa to these pancakes make them a great choice.
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup cooked quinoa cooled (about 1/4 cup uncooked)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1/3 cup milk of your choice
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt,quinoa and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl combine applesauce, egg whites, milk, and vanilla extract.
- Stir together wet and dry ingredients until just combined.
- Heat a large frying pan over a medium-low heat, and grease with butter.
- Drop pancake sized portions of batter into the pan (about 1/4 cup mix for each pancake) and cook until bubbles appear on the top.
- Carefully flip the pancakes over and cook until golden.
- Repeat until all pancakes are cooked, re-greasing if needed.