I’m jumping on the monkey bread bandwagon a little bit late. I’ve seen the gooey, sweet deliciousness floating around pinterest for quite some time, but it never really seemed like something The Hubs and I would eat by ourselves, and I never had an occasion to make it for other people.
This weekend, The Hubs and 11 friends ran a 198 mile relay race from Huntington Beach to San Diego. One of the legs ran directly past our house. Of course my favorite fitness guru, Val, organized the whole thing, and mentioned that the people who were not running that leg might stop by for a little rest. I figured 11 hungry runners was the perfect crew to make some monkey bread for.
Not too long ago, The Hubs showed me a picture of savory monkey bread that he saw online. Seeing as cheese and sun-dried tomatoes is more my speed than brown sugar and cinnamon, I opted for a more savory option.
Savory Sun-Dried Tomato Monkey Bread
Savory Sun-Dried Tomato Monkey Bread Recipe
- 2 cans refrigerated biscuits
- 1/2 c shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 c shredded white cheddar
- 1/2 c sun-dried tomatoes chopped or 1/4 c sun-dried tomato pesto
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 T Gourmet Garden Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Cooking Spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray a bundt pan with cooking spray.
- Cut eat biscuit into quarters. Begin layering biscuit pieces in the bottom of the pan.
- Top biscuit layer with 1/2 of the cheese and sun-dried tomatoes. Repeat layers
- Melt butter with Gourmet Garden seasoning and garlic.
- Pour butter mixture over the top of the biscuit layers.
- Bake for 35 minutes until golden brown. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove and enjoy warm
Unfortunately, the runners never ended up stopping by, but The Hubs returned home after the race completely famished and devoured most of this. He also declared it “his favorite food ever”. I guess I’ll be making it more often……
The beauty of this is you can make it sweet or savory, and it works with pretty much anything you have laying around your kitchen. Let me know what unique combinations you come up with!