Well, that’s a wrap on my holiday leftovers! See ya again in a month after Christmas! Oh crap, I’d better learn some new recipes!
Spicy Ham-and-Bean Soup recipe from Cooking Light
- 1 1/4 cups dried navy beans
- 2 quarts water
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 1/2 teaspoons minced seeded jalapeño pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (18-ounce) ham bone (from an 8 1/2-pound cooked low-sodium ham)
- 2 cups finely chopped Maple-Glazed Ham (about 9 ounces)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can no-salt-added whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 (8-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
Sort and wash beans; place in a large Dutch oven. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans, and bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 hour.
Drain beans, and return to pan. Add 2 quarts water and next 8 ingredients (water through ham bone). Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour or until beans are tender. Remove from heat; discard ham bone.
Place 2 cups of bean mixture in a blender, and process until smooth. Return mixture to pan; add ham and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until heated.