This is the best sweet potato bundt cake recipe! The bourbon adds a spicy, cozy flavor. Fall baking at it’s finest.
This post may contain affiliate links
Aren’t bundt cakes just the cutest? I’m not exactly sure when I became obsessed with pretty ring cakes, but I’ve been bundting my way through this blog for many years now.
I think one of the things I love about bundt cakes besides all of the insanely gorgeous options for bundt pans (I want them all!!) is that it’s totally appropriate to enjoy bundt cakes for both dessert and breakfast. As a brunch aficionado, breakfast cake is right up my alley.
This year has been totally insane in all the best ways. Between work and travel, I haven’t been able to sit still for even one second. Opportunities have been flying at me from all angles, and I’m doing my very best trying to keep up. I can’t believe it’s already Fun Month. Where did the time go?
Generally this time of the year I take a break and enjoy my birthday month. Travel and awesome work projects aren’t going to allow me to fully do that this year, but I figured I could at least make some time for cake right?
Another new development this year is that I’m learning to love fall again, so for my latest foray into bundt land, I’ve incorporated some seasonal fall flavors.
Recently I’ve been really into what I consider “pumpkin substitutes” like sweet potato and butternut squash. Everyone usually thinks pumpkin flavor for October, which I why I chose to go with a sweet potato bundt cake instead. Adding some bourbon gives it that cozy fall kick, and obviously makes it more Fun Month appropriate.
While I’ve been a bit absent around these parts on and off this year, I want to let you all know how grateful I am for your continued support. Betsylife is 7 years old! I can’t even believe how much my life has changed in the past 7 years. As I personally ring in #37 soon, I just feel very lucky and happy to be able to live such a creative life, and interact with all you lovely folks, so thank you. From the bottom of my heart, I appreciate all of you.
Now let’s eat some bourbon sweet potato bundt cake!
More pumpkin substitute recipes
More fall bundt cake recipes
Sweet Potato Bourbon Bundt Cake
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups pureed sweet potatoes
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice (Cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice blend)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease and flour a bundt pan.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat eggs and sugar at a high speed for 3 minutes or until pale and creamy. Turn mixer to medium and add oil, butter and vanilla, beating until just combined.
- Add sweet potato puree and mix until fully incorporated, pausing to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, apple pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a measuring cup, whisk together bourbon and buttermilk.
- Turn mixer to low and alternate adding flour and buttermilk mixture to egg mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Continue to beat at a low speed until fully combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 60-70 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool on a rack for 15 minutes before removing from pan.
- Cool entirely and sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.