This vegetarian pasta recipe is a special post for my friend Gurpreet. She’s always been and awesome supporter of my blog and tries (and reports back) on a lot of the recipes I post. Yesterday she told me that she tried brussels sprouts for the first time in her life, and was still on the fence about them. Hey, good for you for trying something new Gurpreet! Generally, I’ll tell people, “just add bacon”, but Gurpreet is a vegetarian and I knew I’d have to give her another option. Besides, adding bacon to new stuff is the easy way out anyway, and I love a challenge!
Enter this delicious, and simple vegetarian pasta with brussels sprouts. You still pan roast the brussels like Gurpreet did on her first attempt, but the addition of lemon, garlic, onion and cheese (cheese! The vegetarian’s version of “just add bacon”. Just add cheese!) will hopefully joosh it up enough to turn her into a fan! Let me know how it goes Gurpreet. I won’t rest until I’ve converted you!
Vegetarian Pasta with Brussels Sprouts recipe adapted from Cooking Light
Vegetarian Pasta With Brussels Sprouts
Vegetarian Pasta With Brussels Sprouts Recipe
- 8 ounces uncooked cavatappi or other spiral pasta
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup panko Japanese breadcrumbs
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 12 ounces Brussels sprouts trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2/3 cup organic vegetable broth
- 1/2 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 ounces pecorino Romano cheese shaved (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts toasted
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and transfer to a large bowl; keep warm.
- Melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat; swirl to coat. Add panko to pan; cook 3 minutes or until browned, stirring frequently.
- Heat olive oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium heat until the oil shimmers, and cook garlic, stirring often, until golden brown and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Stir in onion and cook until soft, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Add Brussels sprouts to the skillet and cook without stirring until the undersides of the sprouts turn golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir to turn sprouts over, and cook other sides until golden brown, another 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add broth and next 6 ingredients (through crushed red pepper). Cover and cook 2 minutes or until Brussels sprouts are crisp-tender. Add Brussels sprouts mixture to pasta; toss well. Sprinkle with cheese, pine nuts, and panko. Serve immediately