Simplicity is key when it comes to summer. No makeup, flip flops, swimsuits and sunglasses are the uniform. Lazy afternoons reading by the pool, and long sunset walks are the agenda. Drama, stress and anxiety, although they try to creep in, just kind of fade into the background.
It’s taken almost a whole month but I am officially in my summer zen mode. I find myself driving slower and enjoying the wind in my hair. I’m strolling along with Olive more than exercise walking as I normally do, and even during my runs I find myself thinking only of the warm sun on my face and not how terribly out of breath I am.
One of my favorite simple summer joys is browsing the farmers market on Tuesday afternoons. Sometimes I don’t even buy anything, but just soak in the buzz of activity, and the variety of colors and textures that are spread out all around me. As an avid gardener myself, I love the idea of freshly grown food, and meeting the people who actually did the growing themselves.
Lately, I’ve found the cherries at the market to be irresistible. Cherries and cream soda are two things that just scream summer to me. Can you just imagine yourself on a back porch somewhere sipping a frosty cream soda and snacking on sweet, fresh cherries? I sure can.
If I’m going to maximize my porch sitting time, that means I have to minimize my kitchen time. It’s a compromise I’m willing to make in the name of summer. When the days are short and chilly, I’m perfectly content spending all day in the kitchen making a beautiful cake from scratch, but it’s summer and the sun is calling, so I’m turning to my trusty trick of doctoring up a boxed cake mix.
This cake is so simple and so summery tasting. It’s just a box of cake mix, fresh cherries, eggs and cream soda. Who doesn’t have time for that?
Give this recipe a try for your next backyard BBQ. You don’t have to tell your friends that you opted against baking all day and instead took the time to enjoy the great outdoors. They would never believe you anyway.
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 12 oz bottle or can of cream soda
- 1½ cups fresh cherries, pitted and halved.
- Heat oven according to cake mix instructions. Thoroughly grease and flour a bundt pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine boxed cake mix, eggs, and cream soda. Mix until well combined.
- Pour ½ batter into the prepared pan. Top batter with cherries, then pour remaining batter over the cherries.
- Bake 60-75 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out cleanly.
- Cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then turn out of the pan and cool completely.
- Optional: Make a cream soda glaze by whisking together 1 cup sifted powdered sugar and 2-3 Tbsp of cream soda. Pour over the cooled cake.
- Slice and enjoy!