Not your basic cookie recipe! These dark chocolate salted caramel cookies will knock your socks off.
Wait, what?!? Did you know they make chocolate chips that are filled with caramel?!? This is the first I’ve heard of this, and I think my head might explode. This may be one of the best days of my life.
I just discovered Toll House® Delightfulls caramel filled baking chips (um, no this post is NOT sponsored thank you very much) and it’s almost like all the stars are aligning because I was looking to make some cookies for OXO & Cookies for Kids’ Cancer and then suddenly there was this beacon of light in the baking isle that was saying “bake me Betsy!”
You know what else I saw in that magical baking isle? Dark chocolate cocoa powder. Oh yes, the stars were indeed aligning. This year’s charitable cookie was going to be dark chocolate and salted caramel. It was meant to be.
Every year Oxo teams up with bloggers all across the country to raise money for Cookies for Kids’ Cancer. For every cookie recipe blogpost written in September, Oxo will donate $100 to this wonderful charity that helps fund pediatric cancer research. It’s called their Good Cookie campaign.
Well if a good cookie is what they’re looking for, they have come to the right place. No cookie has ever been inhaled this quickly in my house.
I generally prefer my sweets to be sweet and my salty snacks to be salty, so rarely do I dabble in the ever popular salted caramel realm, but this time I decided to take the plunge and the payoff was well worth it. The combo of dark chocolate with those awesome caramel filled baking chips, and a sprinkle of sea salt was total perfection.
If you’d like to join in and Bake a Difference for kids, look for specially marked Oxo Baking Tools and Oxo will donate 25 cents of every purchase to Cookies for Kids’ Cancer. I personally love the egg separator, cookie spatula (trust me, you DO need a special spatula for cookies. It’s amazing), and every size cookie scoop (a must have). Or you can spread the word via social media by using the hashtag #OxoGoodCookies
While you’re at it bake up a batch of these cookies. You will not regret it.
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup unsweetened dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1 9oz bag Toll House® Delightfulls caramel filled baking chips
- coarse sea salt
- In a large bowl cream together butter and sugars at a medium speed until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
- In a separate medium size bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to butter mixture. Stir in the milk, then fold in the baking chips.
- Chill for at least 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Drop dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet in 2 Tbsp sized drops. Sprinkle each with sea salt then bake for 12-13 minutes.
- Allow to cool on the cookie sheet for at least 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.