Apple cinnamon roll monkey bread or bundt cake? Call it whatever you’d like. This apple cider based recipe is easy and seasonal.
Now that it’s finally fall in SoCal I figured it was time to bust out the apple cider. Fun Month deserves a fun bundt so I took my apple cider and concocted this apple cider cinnamon roll bundt. Talk about comfort food!
Food indulgence is the name of my Fun Month game. So far I’ve had a fancy dinner with my friend Katie, ice cream and teppanyaki with my 7 year old nephew in Chicago, also beef sandwiches in Chicago (duh), a fancy dinner for one in Kentucky complete with wine, plenty of airport bloody mary’s, pizza and ice cream cake with old friends who were visiting, heck, I even ate donuts one day! Let the binge continue with some gooey and delicious apple cider cinnamon roll cake.
I see a lot of spin classes in my future.
I’m not really worried about it though, Betsylife is all about balance, and I’m pretty good at making up for my indulgences down the road. Work hard, play hard am I right?
I really encourage everyone to give themselves a break once in a while, and do something frivolous that makes them happy. Super crazy bundt cakes might not be your thing, but maybe buying a special pair of shoes is, or ditching work in the middle of the week to go surfing. Even if you can’t celebrate for an entire month, you deserve to treat yo self every once in a while.
I find that the real key to life though, is finding things that you can have every single day, that make you happy and feel like an indulgence, but are actually good for you too. There is no way I could eat cinnamon rolls all year round. This much sugar does not really agree with me, but I have managed to find healthier breakfast options that I love so even if I’m not indulging, I’m enjoying myself.
I still love that this bundt cake made one recent Sunday extra special.
Speaking of enjoying myself, I’ve got big plans to mix up the rest of my apple cider with some mulling spices and rum. Now that the weather is cooler (73 degrees) I see sweatpants, a quilt, a boozy cider drink, and some trashy TV on my weekend agenda. Celebrating doesn’t necessarily have to mean elaborate plans.
Spin class can wait until November.
Apple Cider Cinnamon Roll Bundt Cake
Apple cinnamon roll monkey bread or bundt cake? Call it whatever you'd like. This apple cider based recipe is easy and seasonal.
For the Cake
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 package quick-rise yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 1/4 cup plus 1/3 cup butter softened, divided
- 1 egg
- 2 cups finely chopped peeled tart apples
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
For the frosting
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine 2-1/4 cups flour, sugar, and salt.
- In a small saucepan heat milk, cider and 1/4 cup of butter until the butter melts. Remove from heat and sprinkle yeast over the top of the milk mixture. Allow to proof for 10 minutes.
- Pour milk mixture into the flour mixture and stir until combined. Stir in remaining flour until a soft dough forms (dough will be sticky).
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead for 6-8 minutes until dough becomes smooth and elastic. Let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grease and flour a 9 1/2 inch bundt pan. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine apples, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll dough into a 15X10 inch rectangle. Spread rectangle with remaining butter. Top evenly with apple mixture.
- Roll dough, lengthwise, jelly roll style, pinching to seal the seam at the end. Cut into 12 even slices.
- Place slices into the prepared bundt pan so they fit snugly. Cover, and allow to rest in a warm place for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Bake for 35-45 minutes until golden brown.
Meanwhile, prepare the frosting.
- Boil apple cider in a small saucepan for 20 minutes or until liquid is reduced to 1/4 cup.
- In a large bowl cream butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Slowly add confectioners sugar until creamy. Add in reduced apple cider until fully combined.
- Remove cake from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then carefully turn out onto a plate. Top with frosting and serve immediately.
Here’s what you do with apples