Bacon apple cheddar bread is the essential quick bread recipe for the fall season. A classic combination of sweet and savory flavors that will have your taste buds dancing.
There is something so incredibly satisfying about taking everything out of a drawer, sorting through it, throwing stuff away, wiping out the drawer, and putting everything neatly back in.
Moving is a huge pain in the butt, but fortunately The Hubs’ new company is providing the good movers for us. You know, the ones that show up with boxes, pack everything, move everything, unpack everything and take the boxes with them when they go.
That’s a huge weight off my shoulders, but I still don’t want to show up in Oakland with a bunch of broken pens, scraps of paper and dusty drawers (yes, they pack EVERYTHING).
Hence my need to clean and organize every inch of this house now.
I actually went through our “office supply drawer” today and tested every single pen and marker to see if they worked.
Like I said, SUPER satisfying.
Life is frickin’ nutso right now. 4th quarter is always the busiest time of year for me plus, I’m going out of my way to accept every party/coffee date/workshop invitation in order to have a chance to say goodbye to everyone.
Add in holiday shopping/wrapping/shipping/baking and a total house cleaning/purging/organizing mission and I’m pretty much surviving on wine & coffee and I’m starting to run out of ////////’s
Did I mention I still don’t know where I’m going to live in 50 days?
In an attempt to not totally freak out, I’m doing my best to just focus on one task at a time. One chore on my list that I’ve mentioned before is using up everything in my fridge and pantry starting with this bacon apple cheddar bread.
The Hubs left yesterday for our new life (he starts work sooner than I was ready to leave) so I baked this bread not only to comfort me (carbs+baking=peace), but also because I should be able to live off it for about a week.
It’s great by itself, but I’m also envisioning it toasted as sandwich bread, spread with apple butter, or as a basket for an egg like I did here. All you need is a little creativity, and you’ve got meals for days.
Well that’s enough chit chat. I’ve got to get back to organizing my playing card drawer.
Bacon Apple Cheddar Bread
This cheese bacon bread recipe is great on it's own but even better when you add seasonal apples.
- 6 strips of bacon
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 large apple peeled and shredded
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Cook bacon in a skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Drain on a paper towel. Set aside. Reserve grease.
- Whisk flour, salt and baking soda in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Add enough oil, about 1/4 cup, to the reserved bacon grease until you have 1/2 cup. Whisk oil mixture with sugar and eggs in a large bowl until mixture lightens. Stir in shredded apple, applesauce, and buttermilk.
- Stir apple mixture into flour mixture only until dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in cheddar and cooked bacon. Pour batter into a well greased loaf pan.
- Bake the loaf for 50-60 minutes until a skewer inserted comes out clean and the loaf is golden brown. Cool bread in the loaf dish on a rack for 10 minutes, then turn bread out of dish. Allow bread to completely cool on a rack before slicing.