Black bean quinoa salad with chipotle steak is the big salad you’ve always dreamed of! A complete meal to fuel you through your busiest days.
I’d love to tell you a beautiful story about this salad, but the truth is that I’m so beat right now that I can barely think straight. When I said I was going to buckle down a few weeks ago, I meant it. My life is back in full swing and I’m hanging on for dear life.
The old saying goes, “when it rains, it pours”. I have found this to be true many times in my life. In this particular case it’s almost all good things, but they are wearing me out never the less.
Coffee is my everything, but coffee alone won’t get me through the extensive to-do lists I’ve been facing day after day. The only way to keep my energy levels up is by eating smartly.
Enter a Black Bean Quinoa Salad with Chipotle Steak.
Protein, fiber, healthy fats, and lots of nutrient packed veggies…oh, and some spice to keep things exciting. THIS is coffee’s perfect companion when it comes to energy sustainability. Plus, it’s easy to prepare ahead of time and eat on the go.
It’s true people. This is what I eat instead of fast food. I promise you its easy to make. You can even make it meal prep style in a big batch at the beginning of the week if you keep all the components separate.
30 minutes and a quick trip through the Starbucks drive thru is all you need, and you’ll be full and energized, back to your daily grind, and ready to burn the midnight oil in no time.
If you give this recipe a try, I’d love to see it! Tag me @betsylife on Facebook or Instagram and I’ll share your creations!
Black Bean Quinoa Salad with Chipotle Steak
Black bean quinoa salad with chipotle steak is the big salad you've always dreamed of! A complete meal to fuel you through your busiest days.
- 5 teaspoons olive oil divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 6-ounce top sirloin steaks
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon honey
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 cup unsalted black beans rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 1/2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1 ounce crumbled feta cheese about 1/4 cup
- 1/2 cup ripe peeled avocado sliced
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Combine 1 teaspoon oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, chipotle chile powder, and black pepper; rub evenly over steaks. Add steaks to pan; cook 4 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut steaks diagonally across the grain into thin slices.
- Combine remaining 4 teaspoons oil, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, juice, and next 4 ingredients (through honey) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Stir in quinoa, beans, bell pepper, cilantro, green onions, and spinach; toss to coat. Sprinkle with feta. Divide quinoa mixture evenly among 4 shallow bowls; top evenly with steak and avocado.
Recipe from Cooking Light Magazine