This easy BBQ sauce recipe is packed with flavor and gives you the option to go spicier or less spicy depending on your preference. No more mystery ingredients and preservatives! Making your own condiments at home is simpler than you think.
Do you smell that? That smoky flavor in the air? It’s BBQ season!
I love grilling season mainly because The Hubs does a lot of the work. As much as I love to cook, I like to be served as well. Meat is The Hubs domain, and he’s quite the skillful BBQ-er.
I got him a smoker for Christmas 2 years ago and it has really upped his BBQ game. Tri-Tips, briskets, salmon, and even a couple Thanksgiving turkeys have seen the inside of that smoker. It’s a great way to make a perfectly cooked piece of meat.
The two of us have a system. I buy the meat, and prepare it. He prepares the smoker, gets up early to put the meat in, monitors it the whole day, and carves it up when its ready. I provide sauces and sides, and our friends happily eat it all up. It’s a pretty great partnership.
I love to make my own condiments and recently I made this particular easy bbq sauce recipe that had everyone ooh-ing and ahh-ing. It’s actually a very simple recipe, and super easy to customize based on whatever you have on hand.
All you need is something sweet, something spicy, something smoky, and something tangy. I generally prefer a tomato based sauce, although my friend Stefan makes a mean Carolina style, vinegar based sauce that I love.
I guess it all depends on the meat. I slathered this sauce on some smoked brisket sandwiches, and it was a match made in heaven.
What kind of BBQ sauce to you love the most?
With the 4th of July coming up, I bet a lot of you are planning on hosting your own BBQ’s. Don’t worry, my #12blogger friends and I have got you covered! From drinks to desserts, we’ve compiled a list of 12 4th of July favorites to meet all of your BBQ needs. Be sure to click around and see what everyone else is bringing to the party.
- Sparkling Raspberry Lemonade from Mom Endeavors
- Easy BBQ Sauce recipe from BetsyLife
- Apricot Crumble In A Jar from The Rebel Chick
- 4th Of July Marshmallow Pinwheels from Home Cooking Memories
- Grilled Corn With Honey Mustard Butter from A Little Claireification
- Grilled Pineapple & Watermelon Fruit Kabobs from A Night Owl Blog
- Strawberry Rhubarb Lemonade from Bless This Mess Please
- Veggie BBQ Sliders with Slaw from Million Moments
- Deep Dish Crumb Topped Apple Pie from Eat Your Heart Out
- Mac & Cheese Cups from See Vanessa Craft
- Popsicle Rockets from Around My Family Table
- Caesar Burgers from Plugged In Family
The Best Homemade BBQ Sauce
This easy homemade BBQ sauce is the best barbecue sauce ever!
- 1 1/3 cups tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/2 tsp hatch chile powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp chipotle chili powder
- In a large saucepan combine all the ingredients and simmer over low heat for 25 minutes stirring occasionally. Let it cool and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Check out these other easy bbq recipes