A peanut butter chip cookie recipe with a fall twist. The addition of chai spices make this the ultimate cookie recipe for fall.
Even though it’s been fairly warm here in the Bay Area lately (warm is a relative term), it still feels like fall to me. It’s the light. Whenever fall rolls around there’s a difference in the daylight.
Summer light is bright, white, and long burning. The mornings are golden and the evenings are pink. Fall light is dim and warm. The mornings are gray, the afternoons are hazy orange, and the evenings are navy.
Fall is fine and all, but my heart has long belonged to summer. I’ll admit that I’m more than a little disappointed that I didn’t see more than a handful of days of “real summer” this year. Just another thing I guess I’m going to have to get used to.
Since fall has clearly arrived, I have no choice but to embrace it, but I think I deserve some sort of consolation prize……in the form of a cookie. Recently I baked these peanut butter chip cookies with chai spices, to drown my sorrows about the non-existence of summer.
Chai is something that totally reminds me of fall. It gives me the same cozy feeling that the afternoon fall light gives me. Whenever I do fancy coffee Friday’s in the fall I get a dirty chai latte. It’s not quite as good as my summer drink, coconut latte, but still pretty good none the less.
I thought the idea of a chai spiced sugar cookie sounded pretty good. The addition of the peanut butter chips was on a whim, but it totally paid off. These cookies were insanely addicting. Soft, chewy and perfectly spicy.
So yeah, I’m still pretty bummed about Oakland’s non-summer, but cookies help make everything a little better. At least next year I’ll know what to expect and plan an extended stay in San Diego in late July in order to get my summer fix.
Get the recipe for Peanut Butter Chip Chai Cookies Below
More seasonal fall dessert recipes
Peanut Butter Chip Chai Cookies
Chai sugar cookies with peanut butter chips. A cookie recipe you never knew you needed in your life.
- 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 10 oz package Reese's peanut butter baking chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, cardamom, and black pepper. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well between each addition. Add vanilla extract.
- Turn mixer to low and begin to slowly add flour mixture. Once flour is fully incorporated, fold in peanut butter baking chips.
- Drop rounded tablespoons of dough onto cookie sheets lined with parchment. Bake for 10-13 minutes until golden brown. Cool for 2 minutes on the cookies sheet, then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.