All I want to do these days is be outside. The days are long, and the sun (and shade) beckon me constantly. I’ve been walking everywhere, hitting as many patios as possible, dining outside, and thoroughly enjoying the free time I have left before life gets hectic in July.
As much as I love to cook, my kitchen time lately has been minimal.
Beyond just wanting to be outdoors, I think mixing things up a bit is really great for my creativity. Being confined to one area, and doing the same thing day after day can get a bit static. Some of my best ideas come to me when I’m out walking Olive and not even thinking about work or this blog.
To maximize my outdoor time, and allow more time for other inspirational activities, I’ve been relying on pre-made frozen, no cook, or one pot meals like this one pot spicy chicken and summer vegetables.
Throw a bunch of stuff in a pot. You’re done.
It’s just that easy. I’m stoked to be able to incorporate some of the veggies I’ve been growing in my garden so far, but if you don’t have a garden, then just use canned or frozen vegetables. Whatever it takes to get you outside quicker to enjoy every moment of summer.
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb chicken breast cut into 1 inch cubes
- 14 oz can of corn, drained or 1 cup fresh corn
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes or 2 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- ½ cup green onions, chopped
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- In a small bowl combine cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle ½ spice mixture over chicken. Add chicken to the pan and cook until browned, about 7 minutes.
- Add corn, tomatoes, zucchini and remaining seasoning to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes until zucchini is tender.
- Top with shredded cheese, green onions and cilantro. Serve