Can’t decide on the perfect after school snack? Why not combine all your favorite snacks into one cookie recipe?
In the weird scenario I’ve created in my mind, next week is my last week of “summer break”. In reality, there was no break to start and end, just more of my regularly scheduled life. Somewhere around May I convinced myself that I would take the summer off to really enjoy myself and not worry so much about work or “what’s next?” which is something that always seems to be on my mind.
Let me tell you, it’s been a great summer, and a darn good idea on my part to make the time to enjoy it if I do say so myself.
Without hard work, frustration and sacrifice to compare it against, taking time off loses its luster a bit. As much as I’ve loved floating around in a beautiful summer haze for the last few months, its about time to get back to it. I have this week and next week, and then after that, it’s business time.
Perhaps taking this time off was a way to remind myself of the summer vacations of yesteryear that ended with the anticipation and promise of a new school year. That’s kind of how I’m interpreting this return to work…..back to school, betsylife style.
First I’m going to buy myself a new pencil case, then I’m going to bake myself a bunch of these after school snack cookies, because as every kids knows, a hard day of work should always be rewarded with a cookie.
I took all the best after school snacks and stuffed them into one batch of cookies. Chocolate, potato chips, animal crackers and coconut. You could easily do pretzels, peanuts, almonds, or candy if you wanted to as well.
I’ll pat myself on the back for a job well done at the end of each school day when I reward myself with a cookie. That should keep me going strong for a while until Christmas break rolls around.
After School Snack Cookies
Can't decide on the perfect after school snack? Why not combine all your favorite snacks into one cookie recipe?
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup toasted coconut
- 1 cup plain potato chips
- 1 cup animal crackers roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cream butter and brown sugar together in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add in vanilla extract and eggs.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Turn the mixer to slow and gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture until combined. Fold in chocolate chips, coconut, potato chips and animal crackers.
- Place batter in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour but up to 48 hours.
- Spoon heaping tablespoons of dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake 13-18 minutes until edges begin to brown.
- Cool on a wire rack and enjoy.
More Great After School Snack Recipes