Fresh Roasted Strawberry Ice Cream Sandwiches made with home baked snickerdoodle cookies are the perfect way to enjoy fresh summer strawberries. Homemade strawberry ice cream is easier to make than you think so head out to the farm this summer, pick a bushel, and turn it into a refreshing and delicious ice cream sandwich.
Over the weekend I came down with the dreaded “summer cold”, I think I probably overdid it last week. This year has been very unusual in terms of changes and opportunities. I know all too well that change is the only constant in life, but man, it’s put me through the emotional wringer so far this year.
Whenever I feel overwhelmed by new stuff going on, I react by buckling down, over scheduling, and trying to wrestle full control of anything I can. If you resist change for long enough, your body will eventually force you into submission. Hence, my summer cold.
I hear you loud and clear body. I need to just step back, chill out for a second, then reevaluate with a clear mind.
Cooking (actually creativity of any kind) has always been a stress reliever for me. I love to just zone out, focus on the project at hand, and forget the rest of the world for a while.
Over the weekend, between nose blowing and obsessive hand washing, I peacefully concocted these snickerdoodle and roasted strawberry ice cream sandwiches. It was an involved process. There were a lot of steps, and it took some patience, but the end reward was soooooooooooooo worth it. Not only were they super delicious, but I also gained some much needed mental clarity.
Right now, I’m feeling ready to tackle whatever this summer and the rest of this year has to throw at me, but I know if the stress builds up too much, and if life starts to feel overwhelming again, I can always just make an ice cream sandwich to make it all better.
Snickerdoodle and Roasted Strawberry Ice Cream Sandwiches
In my opinion, there is no greater dessert than an ice cream cookie sandwich
For the ice cream
- 3/4 lb fresh strawberries rinsed and hulled
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon aged balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the sandwiches
- One batch of Snickerdoodle Cookies
- Fresh roasted strawberry ice cream
To make the ice cream
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Toss strawberries with 2 tablespoons sugar and balsamic vinegar, and spread on a baking sheet. Roast in the oven for 30-40 minutes until soft. Allow to cool.
- Once cooled, finely chop, or puree the strawberries using an immersion blender.
- In a large bowl whisk together milk, heavy cream, 1 cup sugar, salt, vanilla, and strawberries. Pour mixture into the freezer bowl of an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturers instructions.
For the sandwiches
- Take two snickerdoodle cookies and sandwich 1/4 cup fresh strawberry ice cream between them. Enjoy!
Craving more ice cream cookie sandwiches?
- Cake mix cookie ice cream sandwiches
- Red Velvet Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches
- Apple pie ala Mode Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches