Strawberry upside down cake is the greatest spring cake you’ve ever seen. Not only is this cake recipe super simple to prepare, it also packs a visual punch that will wow your guests. Almond flavored cake compliments the fresh strawberry topping perfectly.
The beginning of the month has arrived and I’m already starting to feel a bit crazed. I don’t like to use the word busy, so let’s just say that May is shaping up to be a whirlwind. Deadlines are coming out of my ears, multiple events need to be hosted, plus flight reservations galore. Not to mention cramming in as much time with my new mini bestie and her big sister before they move inconveniently far away.
Spring is in full swing and it seems like life is changing on a daily basis.
Someone asked me recently about how I balance it all. The truth is I don’t really see it as a balance. I just act on, or react to, whatever is right in front of me. I plan ahead as much as necessary in order to still be a functioning member of society, but I’ve learned that thinking too much into the future is not very healthy for me.
I find this method works for my creativity as well. When I try to drum up inspiration to fill up my editorial calendar, I always wind up empty handed. Moving through my days instinctively is when real inspiration strikes. This particular week it was the strawberries in my CSA box that spoke to me.
Not only did I make a delicious strawberry upside down cake, I was also able to answer the question of what I’m going to make for a brunch I’m hosting later on this month. See? Life has a way of working itself out if you just sit back, pay attention, and let things happen as they will.
This fresh strawberry cake recipe beyond easy to prepare, and deliciously seasonal. The visual interest the upside down aspect provides is a definite wow factor. Your guests will have no idea how simple this cake recipe truly is.
Strawberry Almond Upside Down Cake
Strawberry upside down cake is the greatest spring cake you've ever seen. Not only is this cake recipe super simple to prepare, it also packs a visual punch that will wow your guests. Almond flavored cake compliments the fresh strawberry topping perfectly.
- 11 tablespoons butter softened, divided
- 1/2 cup plus 4 tablespoons brown sugar divided
- roughly 2 cups strawberries hulled and thinly sliced
- 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- one 5 oz container of plain greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Evenly coat a 9 inch pie or cake pan with 3 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with 4 tablespoons brown sugar to completely cover the bottom of the pan.
- Arrange strawberry slices over the brown sugar in an even layer.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together remaining 8 tablespoons butter and remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add in egg, vanilla and almond extract.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Slowly add flour mixture to butter mixture until fully incorporated. Stir in greek yogurt.
- Carefully spread batter over the strawberry layer. Batter will be thick.
- Bake for 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes then turn out onto a plate.
- Dust with powdered sugar (optional)
- More fun strawberry recipes
- Strawberry Cornbread Skillet Cobbler
- Strawberry Balsamic Jam
- Fresh Strawberry Ice Cream Sandwiches