Give your simple spaghetti carbonara a boost in fiber and macronutrients by using whole wheat pasta. Same rich carbonara flavor!
I just read that pasta is making a comeback.
I’m guessing that’s an American thing because I’m pretty pasta never left Italy and quite a bit of the rest of the world. Besides this being the dumbest news I’ve read in a while, it’s actually kind of true in our household.
I’ve never been much of a pasta fan. It’s not that I don’t like pasta, it’s just not something I crave. The Hubs, on the other hand, is a pasta fanatic and has been anxiously awaiting this comeback for a very long time.
The reason for my change of heart was born out of convenience. If you’ve been following along my adventures in NorCal, you know that I’ve been swamped with work, and have been living off fast, simple meals. Pasta is a versatile ingredient, and so quick to prepare. I often have miscellaneous vegetables laying around from my CSA box so I just toss them with some pasta and serve. The Hubs doesn’t even complain there’s no meat when I serve him a plate of carbs.
I will admit, after eating pasta fairly regularly these days, I’ve been feeling awesome during my workouts. I guess pasta has more worthwhile attributes than just being quick and easy.
This spaghetti carbonara became whole wheat spaghetti carbonara when my Instacart shopper pinged me that they were out of regular spaghetti, and she was substituting with whole wheat.
That’s how crazy things are right now. I can’t even do my own grocery shopping which is an activity I normally love.
If you’re feeling like I am, and are having your groceries delivered, please give this simple pasta recipe a try. It’s so much better than eating fast food, and you will totally slay your spin class tomorrow.
If you give this recipe a try, I’d love to see it! Tag me @betsylife on Facebook or Instagram and I’ll share your creations!
More fast and easy pasta recipes
- Cheesy Lemon Brown Butter Baked Pasta
- Halibut Pasta with Squash Blossoms and Herbs
- Pasta with Gin Sauce
Whole Wheat Spaghetti Carbonara
This Whole Wheat Spaghetti Carbonara is the easiest pasta recipe you'll ever make
- 8 oz whole wheat spaghetti
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup parmesan
- 4 slices bacon diced
- 1/2 cup peas fresh or frozen
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- salt and pepper
- fresh parsley
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain reserving 1/2 cup cooking water.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until brown and crispy. Drain excess fat. Add peas and sauté for 2-3 minutes until peas are cooked through.
- Meanwhile, whisk together eggs and parmesan
- Add garlic to bacon, and cook until fragrant, about a minute. Reduce heat to low.
- Working quickly to avoid scrambling the eggs, add pasta and egg mixture to the pan with the bacon. Toss gently to coat pasta with eggs. Add reserved pasta water a little at a time, until desired consistency is achieved.
- Salt and pepper to taste, and garnish with fresh parsley. Serve immediately.