The perfect birthday cake recipe. Chocolate cake with an awesome peanut butter twist.
This peanut butter swirl bundt cake is for The Hubs. For years this man has eaten every experimental thing I’ve been able to dream up. From vegan food to rich desserts, he has always been my number one taste tester, so for once I thought I’d make something that I know he’ll actually like. The man loves all things peanut butter, and since its our anniversary this week, I figured his cravings deserve to be indulged.
Thank you honey, for being such a good sport all these years. I can’t promise soyrizo and lentils won’t cross your plate again, but I will promise to always balance it out with a little peanut butter or a chocolate chip cookie for balance.
The cake part of this bundt is pretty darn tasty, but the real star is the peanut butter ganache. Pure amazingness. I had this idea for peanut butter ganache with the thought in my head that, “of course they sell peanut butter chips at the grocery store!” Well, yeah, I soon found out not every store sells them. If you have a hard time finding them, there’s always Amazon. It’s well worth the effort to source out these chips. The cake itself is not peanut buttery enough without the ganache in my opinion, besides, it makes it look so cool!
So this takes two cake batters, and two ganaches. Anything for The Hubs………this bundt also takes quite a bit of time to make, but if you have a peanut butter lover in your house like I do, it’s worth the effort.
Happy Anniversary Hubs! Cheers to more delicious treats in our future.
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup milk
- ¾ cup + 2 T all-purpose flour
- ½ cup + 2 T cocoa powder
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup boiling water
- ¼ cup butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⅓ cups self rising flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 8 oz peanut butter chips
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 3 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 T heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9-inch bundt pan. Set aside.
- Cream sugar and oil together in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg, vanilla, and milk
- In a medium bowl mix together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Slowly add flour mixture to oil mixture until well combined.
- Carefully stir in boiling water.
- In a large bowl cream together butter, peanut butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg.
- Carefully add in ⅓ of the flour, followed by ⅓ of the buttermilk. Continue alternating flour and buttermilk mixing well between each addition.
- Pour a small amount of chocolate batter into the prepared bundt pan. Dot large spoonfuls of peanut butter batter, and top with more chocolate batter. Continue alternating until all batter is in the pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out cleanly.
- Remove from pan and cool completely.
- Pour peanut butter chips into a medium bowl. Set aside. Pour chocolate chips into another bowl.
- Heat heavy cream in a small saucepan just until bubbles form along the edges.
- Pour ½ cup cream over the peanut butter chips and whisk until smooth. Pour ganache over cooled cake.
- Pour the remaining 2 T cream over chocolate chips and whisk until smooth. Pour chocolate into a small ziploc baggie. Cut off one corner and drizzle chocolate over the cake
Try these other great bundt cake recipes