This chicken and black bean chili with butternut squash is both tasty and healthy! A protein packed dinner your whole family will love.
This is my first recipe post of 2016 and I have to admit I’m feeling a bit rusty. It was really great to be able to take a little bit of time for myself over the holidays, but it’s back to business as usual…….or as usual as it can be when I’m staring down the home stretch of a major move.
The Hubs headed back to Oakland the other day, and I’m here with the dogs for three and a half more weeks sorting, packing, and completely freaking out. I still cannot believe I’m leaving San Diego.
Reality is most definitely starting to set in.
The end of January seemed so far in the future when we decided on that date back in October, but now it seems way too soon.
El Nino is currently dumping buckets of rain on San Diego. This greatly inhibits my ability to clean up our backyard, and pack up all my gardening supplies, so I’m stuck with interior work for the rest of the week.
So far my favorite part of moving has been eating up all the food in the house. Chili is not only a foolproof way to use up ingredients, (throw stuff in a pot and simmer for hours) but it also makes great comfort food for a rainy winter night.
Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili with Crispy Shredded Chicken
My new favorite thing is to take leftover shredded meat of any kind (pork, chicken, etc.) and crisp it up in a pan to add texture to a dish. It’s pretty great on sandwiches, but also makes a great chili topping.
Ok, enough with the food chatter. I’ve got packing to do. Stay tuned for some more moving updates, and everything-but-the-kitchen-sink recipe combos.
If you give this recipe a try, I’d love to see it! Tag me @betsylife on Facebook or Instagram and I’ll share your creations!
Black Bean and Butternut Squash Chili with Crispy Shredded Chicken
This chicken chili with butternut squash is both tasty and healthy! A protein packed dinner your whole family will love.
- 1/4 cup olive oil divided.
- 3 onions chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 jalapeños seeded and minced
- 4 15 oz. cans black beans rinsed and drained
- 2 14.5 oz. cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 4 cups butternut squash about 2 lb., peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- Warm 2 tablespoons oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Sauté onions until tender, about 3 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add jalapeños; sauté until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in beans, tomatoes, chili powder, cumin and oregano. Add squash. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1-2 hours until squash becomes tender.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining olive oil in a large skillet. Add shredded chicken in an even layer. Cook until chicken becomes crispy on one side. Remove from heat.
- Season chili with salt and pepper. Top with crispy chicken and serve with sour cream, salsa and other accompaniments, if desired.
More comfort food recipes