Chicken with Garlic and Herb Dumplings is an easy chicken dinner that comes together in just one pot! A great cold weather dinner the whole family will love.
We all need comfort food every once in a while, and I was feeling that need the other day after hours of holiday shopping, wrapping, hustling and bustling.
This time of year really wears me out.
What I really want for Christmas is to sit on the couch in sweatpants drinking wine and eating cookies until spring without gaining any weight, and still getting paid. What do you say Santa?
I swear that I get this way in the winter because my mind, which is constantly on overdrive, only has 11 months of productivity in it. It’s like it shuts down for maintenance, right on cue, every December.
I mean, I haven’t even cooked or written a blog post in a whole week! That is totally not normal for me. Usually you can’t drag me out of the kitchen. I cook at least 2 things every single day…..for 11 months in a row.
Jeesh. Thankfully I’ve still got 11 months in me, and that time frame isn’t getting shorter yet.
Right now, I’m just over it.
2014, you were incredible, but it’s time for you to move along. Does anyone else feel like their ideas lose their luster in December? There’s something about a new year that makes everything seem shiny and new again.
I have no choice but to keep inching along for the next few weeks until 2015 shows up and I (hopefully) get my groove back. Until then, this chicken and dumplings helps to make my couch time by the twinkling Christmas tree a little bit cozier.
If you give this recipe a try, I’d love to see it! Tag me @betsylife on Facebook or Instagram and I’ll share your creations!
Chicken with Garlic and Herb Dumplings
A family favorite! The very best, homemade (easy!) chicken and dumplings recipe.
- 3 center-cut bacon slices cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 8 skinless boneless chicken thighs (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 5 celery stalks chopped
- 5 large carrots chopped
- 2 leeks trimmed and chopped
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 4 1/2 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4-1/2 cup milk
- Cook bacon in an 8-quart Dutch oven over medium-low heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan with a slotted spoon; reserve 1 tablespoon bacon drippings.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add 4 thighs to pan; cook 4 minutes on each side or until thighs are browned. Remove from pan. Repeat procedure with remaining thighs.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onion and celery, cook 5 minutes or until onion is golden. Add carrots and leeks; cook 8 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in wine; cook 1 minute, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add stock, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and browned chicken to pan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes. Remove chicken from pan; shred into large pieces. Return shredded meat and cooked bacon to pan; stir in pepper.
- Meanwhile, prepare dumplings. Combine flour, baking powder, salt and garlic powder in a medium bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or your fingers until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add herbs.
- Add milk, a little bit at a time, until just moist but not too wet. Dough will be sticky.
- Drop tablespoon sized balls of dough over the top of the chicken mixture; cover and simmer 15 minutes or until dumplings are thoroughly cooked.