This chocolate cinnamon bundt cake recipe is your ultimate valentines day cake.
February is my least favorite month of the year. The Hubs and I aren’t huge valentines day people, so until now, the only good thing about February is that it’s nearly daylight savings time. However, I love a festive reason to make a themed bundt cake, so this devil’s food red hot bundt is helping to get me in the February spirit.
I know I make all kinds of crazy recipes on this blog, but sometimes the simplest are the best. Taking a boxed cake mix and jazzing it up just a bit is one of my favorite baking tricks, especially for those who are short on time. I guess most normal people wouldn’t be baking a cake at all if they’re short on time, but I know I’m not alone in this. Right?
For all my short-on-time-but-still-wanna-bake peeps, this recipe is for you.
This is the first time I’ve ever melted down processed candy, and I have to say, it really peaked my curiosity. The Red Hot candies melted into a perfectly smooth syrup, so now I’m curious what else I can melt down into a delicious liquid.
It kind of reminds me of when I was young and my friend Katy and I would play “laboratory” in her bathroom by mixing all the cleaning solutions under the sink together to see what would happen. (Don’t worry, we wore “lab coats” created from men’s dress shirts for protection)……………….It was the 80’s (nothing memorable happened).
Very Mr Wizard’s world meets Betsy’s kitchen if you ask me, but I digress.
So if you’re like me, and are impatiently waiting for summer, and like to make the best of things, or if you just want to melt some stuff, try making this devil’s food red hot bundt cake to keep you entertained while February comes and goes.
- 1 box devils food cake mix, prepared as a bundt, according to package instructions
- 1 cup red hot candies, plus extra for garnish
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup confectioners sugar, sifted
- 2-4 Tbs heavy cream
- Combine red hot candies and water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally until candies melt and a smooth syrup forms. If the mixture seems too thick, add more water. Cool mixture slightly.
- Whisk together confectioners sugar and heavy cream until smooth. Whisk in red hot syrup.
- Pour mixture over prepared cake. Top with additional red hots candies.
More cinnamon recipes