Let the baby bonanza begin! This is shaping up to be a week full of births including several friends babies, and my brother and sister in law’s first baby. I am beyond excited to become an aunt for the 11th time!
When friends and family make babies for me to hug, I pay them back with freezer meals. Anyone can help change poopy diapers, but it takes a real friend to stock your freezer full of delicious and healthy foods so you can focus all your attention on your sweet new baby.
With that being said, cue the taquitos! Taquitos are easy to make in large batches and freeze awesomely. Another thing these taquitos have going for them is that they are easy to reheat and consume with one hand. This is my 11th time around the aunt block. I’ve learned a thing or two about what new moms need. Plus, they make a great lunch on the go for the new dads.
Any time I make freezer food, you’d better believe I make some for The Hubs and I as well. I’ve been on a taquito binge lately with The Hubs being out of town so much. They are perfectly portioned for one, or for a crowd.
You should definitely give these a try in the near future if:
1. You know someone who could really use some freezer meals.
2. You’re really busy and only have one night to cook a week’s worth of meals.
3. You love taquitos.
4. Individual serving sized, microwaveable foods excite you.
Make Ahead Freezer Taquitos
Spicy taquitos make great freezer meals for busy nights.
- 6 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- juice from 1 lime
- 1 bunch cilantro finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups grated Mexican cheese blend
- small flour or corn tortillas
- Preheat oven to 425.
- In a large bowl stir together cream cheese,chili powder, cumin, salt & pepper, shredded chicken and Mexican cheese.
- Fold in cilantro and lime juice.
- Warm tortillas in the microwave (very important!!) so they don't break when rolling.
- Working quickly, place a spoonful of chicken mixture in each tortilla and roll up.
- Place seam side down on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- When the pan is full, lightly spray the tops of the taquitos with cooking spray. Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until crispy.
- Cool taquitos completely then place in a freezer bag to freeze. To reheat, wrap loosely in a paper towel and microwave for 1 minute.
- Serve with salsa and guacamole.