Healthy Snack: Spicy Roasted Chickpeas

Need a healthy snack idea? As someone who has a salty tooth (as opposed to a sweet tooth) I’m always looking for ways to satisfy my cravings without eating fatty, greasy chips. These chickpeas did the trick, and instead of filling my gut with empty calories, I filled it with healthy fiber that helped me to feel full longer. A delicious, healthy snack that helps you feel full, and doesn’t make you want to snack more?!?! Yes please!

The best part about roasting chickpeas is that they are a blank canvas. You can season them with whatever flavors you’re craving; from spicy, to garlic, to citrus, and even sweet! Of course I went for super spicy, using this extra hot Chili Mix I had in my pantry. The Hubs and I gobbled up a whole batch in one sitting.

Spicy Roasted Chickpeas

• One 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon Extra Hot Chili Mix

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.Toss chickpeas with oil and seasoning until evenly coated. Spread on a rimmed baking sheet covered in parchment paper. Roast, stirring occasionally, until chickpeas are golden and crunchy, about 25 minutes. Let cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

1. Katie says

Betsy, these look awesome! I’m making some right now! I also looooveeee chips, so thanks for giving me an alternative!

2. Natalie says

These look delicious! As a Dietitian and fellow food enthusiast, I am always looking for new healthy snack/meal ideas to use myself and to share with my clients. Thanks :)

3. LoriannRD says

YUMMY! Just made myself a batch. Perfect snack and I have been meaning to do this for ages.
    High fiber & protein goodness!!

FYI I am sending your fun blog to some clients tonight who want some easy and healthy recipes.
    You rock, lil mamasita!

4. Patti says

Can I use dry chickpeas instead or canned? How do I prepare them before oven baking them? What other seasonings can i use to make them citrus-y or sweet?

• says

Definitely! You’d just have to soak the dried chickpeas overnight. For different flavors I would try zesting a lemon over the beans before roasting, or squeezing some lemon juice on them. Or, for something sweet, why not sprinkling them with sugar and cinnamon? Let me know how they turn out!

5. says

I’ve heard a few times that roasted or pan fried chickpeas are the bees knees. Yours look delicious – fun to pop in your mouth for a tasty snack and also healthy! Hope you have a great weekened!

6. says

Amazing! This blog looks just like my old one! It’s on a
    completely different subject but it has pretty much the same page layout
    and design. Excellent choice of colors!

Trackbacks